Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there any way to avoid thrush after sex?

(8 Posts)
MovemberSucks Wed 11-Nov-15 17:22:35

I used to get thrush now and then, but didn't really connect it to having sex. Now I have a clear link as I have only had sex twice in the last 5 years and both times have had an outbreak of thrush. Apart from those two instances I haven't had thrush at all recently.

If I had a shower straight after would that help?

specialsubject Wed 11-Nov-15 19:40:59

Yes, but guessing your partner(s) are infecting you.

if there's going to be a repeat, both of you need to get treated first.

Creatureofthenight Wed 11-Nov-15 19:45:41

Is it definitely thrush, have you been to doctor? I thought was getting thrush after sex but was actually to do with irritated cervical tissue, can't remember the proper name for it.

NorthernLurker Wed 11-Nov-15 19:54:57

Are you using condoms? Could be the lubricant is upsetting your ph balance.
I suppose a shower might help as might a wee after sex (which is a good idea from UTI pov too anyway)

Glitterspy Wed 11-Nov-15 20:05:38

A wee (and a proper wipe) after sex will sort things out.

MovemberSucks Wed 11-Nov-15 22:00:58

I'm pretty sure it's thrush as a Canesten pessary clears it up straight away. And I don't think it's anything to do with cervical tissue as one of the recent episodes followed oral sex only, no penetration (so H probably has oral thrush).

We don't use lube or condoms. I always wee after sex, but perhaps I should also be doing a wipe with a wet flannel or something. Would a flannel soaked in a mix of warm water and vinegar be even better?

He probably does need to be treated, but I'm guessing that oral thrush has to be treated with a tablet, which isn't over the counter here. So he would have get a prescription from the GP (he would actually have to get a GP first), unless he buys a tablet on a trip to London. He's completely asymptomatic so I'm not even sure if a GP would prescribe a treatment.

Minime85 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:01:27

I have to have a shower straight after or I get thrush and uti. Also try doing a wee before shower and then after it too (double voiding)

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 11-Nov-15 22:03:44

It's highly likely that he has thrush, and if he doesn't get treatment, you're very unlikely to avoid getting it regardless of what you do after sex.

Washing and peeing is supposed to reduce the risk, but it won't make much of a difference if he already has it, IFYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now