Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Mammogram?

(4 Posts)
AliceScarlett Wed 11-Nov-15 12:49:30

I'm 30, found a lump, GP said it didn't feel like a cyst, I've been referred for a mammogram. She said it could be rather painful and I'd get the results in the appointment... How can they diagnose without a biopsy?

Anyone found them not very painful? hmm

OllyBJolly Wed 11-Nov-15 12:52:16

They may decide not to do a mammogram but an ultrasound instead. Breast tissue is denser in younger women so mammograms are of limited diagnostic use.

I can't pretend a mammogram isn't painful, but it is only for seconds.

Hope it goes well. flowers

AliceScarlett Wed 11-Nov-15 12:59:11

The mammogram people might decide to do an ultrasound instead?

StayGold Wed 11-Nov-15 13:10:24

Hi Alice, they'll probably do a mammogram and an ultrasound scan too. I've been having mammograms since my mid twenties, they are uncomfortable, my sister has smaller boobs than me and says it hurts. I found them uncomfortable but they are only for a short time so are doable.

The radiographers and consultants are experts in seeing patterns and shapes within lumps and cysts, if something stands out you may require a biopsy afterwards again these are doable, trust me flowers

Hope all goes well for you, take someone with you if possible and a book as you may have to wait x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: