Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

period pain and fainting during a period (may be TMI)

(8 Posts)
AmberFool Fri 06-Nov-15 19:54:48

For the last 5 or 6 cycles, I have been really dizzy a few days before a period, a day or so of brown blood and then when I get my proper red blood period, I have severe/intense period pain, basically where my bladder is and on my back. It's so bad that I actually can't walk straight. The pain usually lasts for 2 days. My period lasts about 8 days in total.

Yesterday, I had the period pain before I started my period, I was sweating buckets and a few hours later I had dark brown/black stringy blood. I took painkillers, including the middle of the night which took the edge off the pain.

This morning I woke up dizzy and sick. I managed to get to the bathroom, but collapsed. I have been in pain and dizzy for the rest of the day and I still have not had red blood.

Has anyone else fainted during their period? What did your doctor diagnose? I went to see my GP today and he has given me mefenamic acid which has more or less taken the pain away almost instantly. But I need to go back when I am not on don't I and insist the pain is investigated?

yeOldeTrout Fri 06-Nov-15 20:06:57

How old are you?

AmberFool Fri 06-Nov-15 20:13:48

ButtonLoon Fri 06-Nov-15 20:16:56

Yes you need to insist that it's investigated.

Nonnainglese Fri 06-Nov-15 20:18:14

Been there too OP.
You need to get a gynae opinion; it's probably nothing serious, or you're menopausal, but it's not 'normal' and needs investigating. Quite possibly it's fibroids (mine was) which are treatable.
I would feel as if I had a cannonball in my pelvis, as well as the pain etc.

yeOldeTrout Fri 06-Nov-15 20:20:15

I got what's called secondary dysmennorhea when I was in mid 20s: so went from never any period pain to lots. All of your symptoms are what I was like at my worst.

You're probably complicated by perimenopause; I read it means very heavy periods in many women.

Thing about mefanamic acid is that you are supposed to take it starting 1-2 days before your period is due. So if it works I'd take it, but may also have a chance to talk to GP about if there's anything else you can do to manage your periods. 8 days is much longer than most.

Hollierthathou Fri 06-Nov-15 20:24:09

I've had this kind of experience. Think it's called a vaso-vagal attack (google) and can happen with severe period pain.
Like you I had it once before the flow really got going.
Staggered upstairs from downstairs and had to lie down for an hour as felt like I was dying. Faint, sweaty, dreadful.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm older than you and on HRT which gives me a 'period' and my dr thinks all is okay ( he's a gynae). But go and get checked out. It's probably peri menopause and just different hormone levels causing it.

ALaughAMinute Fri 06-Nov-15 20:36:07

I often faint or feel faint when I have a period because I have low blood pressure. The other symptoms you describe are familiar to me as well as I am peri menopausal. A few tests done by your GP should hopefully put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now