Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Over the counter pain relief?

(9 Posts)
Draylon Fri 06-Nov-15 18:02:58

When 2 x 200g every 4 hours ibuprofen isn't working?

Am on a thread re: trigeminal neuralgia. To date, ibuprofen has, given time (25 mins) brought this excruciating pain under control, but today, not. At worst it really is a 8/10, but the painkillers though they usually achieve a 3/10 aren't getting me better than 4-5/10.

I am 'under' the dentist (hate that expression!), filling removals/replacements etc and have a GP appt on Tuesday. The dentist is chasing tooth ache; I'm researching TN. My poor liver will be a shrivelled walnut by then having been on Ibuprofen, 1 to 4 doses a day for weeks with this.

So, is there anything stronger or more effective I might get from a chemist to see me through the next 3-4 days?

BubsandMoo Fri 06-Nov-15 18:07:21

You can get co-codamol 8mg/500mg over the counter from the pharmacy, and it can be taken with ibuprofen as well

BubsandMoo Fri 06-Nov-15 18:07:47

(it's codeine & paracetamol combo)

BumgrapesofWrath Fri 06-Nov-15 18:08:15

Paramol is probably the strongest thing you can get over the counter. Made me feel high, but I didn't give a fuck about my toothache - brilliant.

jimijack Fri 06-Nov-15 18:08:53

Have you tried solpidine or co codamol? You can take one of these AND ibuprofen and can get them over the counter.

Draylon Sat 07-Nov-15 20:56:39

Thanks all- I'm on to it! Or at least, my pain is!

hugoagogo Sat 07-Nov-15 21:01:13

Rather than extra strong painkillers I thought you could alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen. But yes co-codamol should help.

BuggersMuddle Sat 07-Nov-15 21:54:52

Solpadeine Max, albeit it's recommended for 3 days only (my GP has in practice prescribed co-codamol for longer). It'd get you through to Tuesday. You might not fancy driving with it (I'm don't find it makes me spaced out, but some people feel quite out of it).

Draylon Sun 08-Nov-15 18:28:01

Right out of it sounds good to me right now! grin

Thanks all. I appreciate all suggestions. I was an occasional ibuprofen gal, not so long ago. Then Satan himself set upon my trigeminal nerve; my liver will have to fend for itself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now