Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ventolin and nightmares

(4 Posts)
QueenMolotov Fri 06-Nov-15 09:34:55

I've recently started taking 200mg of Ventolin (accuhaler). It has undoubtedly helped my breathing but I've been having vivid, extremely unpleasant nightmares.

Do you now if nightmares are a side-effect? If so, do they wear off?

TIA

RoaringForties Fri 06-Nov-15 15:25:59

I've never noticed that as a side effect, just a thought though are you sleeping more deeply because you can breathe better?

QueenMolotov Fri 06-Nov-15 16:21:57

Thank-you for answering.

I am sleeping better, actually, so yes it's possible that I'm sleeping more deeply. The nightmares I had last night were really, really horrible and I think I woke in the middle of the dreams that I can remember today (two of them).

I'm under review and am due to go back in 2w, so I'll mention it. It's a new diagnosis for me as an adult but I had asthma in childhood and had ventolin as one of my drugs. I had pretty horrendous nightmares as a child, so maybe it's connected.

gobbin Sun 08-Nov-15 14:12:18

Not in my experience as a user of Ventolin in the past. However, every body reacts differently. There are other asthma drugs out there, so it might be worth asking to try something else.

I use Serevent (salmeterol) and Qvar (steroid inhaler). These are often prescribed in an all in one called Seretide, but that didn't work for me, strangely. Nurse was happy to swap me back to separates. Just ask your doc/asthma nurse to try something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now