Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just diagnosed with gallstones - what happens next?

(6 Posts)
RainbowDashed Wed 04-Nov-15 17:09:08

I wasn't entirely convinced tbh as I haven't had the full on agonising pain experience that comes with having gallstones on the move - however I had a load of blood tests done a couple of weeks ago, which came back positive for inflammation and the only sore bit of me was a mild ache and a feeling of pressure in my upper right hand abdomen - so was sent for an ultrasound which has shown up gallstones. I don't know how many or how big, all the info I have is from the receptionist at the GP, however I can't get an appointment to discuss with anyone until next Tuesday.

What's likely to happen next? Can I manage it with diet? I have had one episode of what looking back may have been a gallstone attack, but on the whole it isn't bothering me that much.

Yes, I am fair, fat and 40 grin

Really hoping that I can avoid surgery, I don't have time to be ill.

amarmai Thu 05-Nov-15 00:57:43

fatty foods are a trigger and for me so is acidic food e.g. apples, vinegar
I've been living with mine for decades.

Wolpertinger Thu 05-Nov-15 01:27:46

Sometimes people can live with them without them causing problems for years.

Generally the advice is that if they have caused problems they need to come out. They will only do it again and that they did it enough to cause inflammation on blood tests would be concerning.

Tram10 Thu 05-Nov-15 08:24:54

The problem is if they get stuck in the duct, it can cause pancreatitis. Also if there are a lot of stones it can cause inflammation of the gall bladder.

A blocked bile duct is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced.

If you do have to go the surgery route, it is a very easy surgery as it is keyhole surgery, and recovery is very quick, although rarely some people do have to have full open surgery.

RainbowDashed Thu 05-Nov-15 12:50:04

Thank you.

I'd prefer to avoid surgery if I can, I appreciate that for the majority of people it fixes the problem and is easy and trouble free, but I have a very good friend (outs self if she's reading although no idea if she still hangs around these parts) who ended up having open surgery followed by infections and now has ongoing problems - somewhat off putting.

I can feel it today, it's not painful but it is a bit sore/uncomfortable and there is the pressure there too, it feels like it does when a baby sticks its foot under your ribs and pushes in pregnancy.

ConfusedInBath Thu 05-Nov-15 12:53:14

I wouldn't keep them personally.
Best thing I did having mine out and I only suffered for a few months with them.
As your GP what the alternative is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now