Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this post viral fatigue? What can i do to feel better?

(8 Posts)
ihatethecold Tue 03-Nov-15 14:41:48

I was unwell at the end of sept with a chest infection that really floored me. I hadn't sleep so much in years.
anyway it lasted about 2.5 weeks.

Now 3 weeks on and I'm still struggling with energy levels and keep falling asleep most days.
On days that I'm working at home I have to cat nap pass out during my lunch break to get through the afternoon.
If i walk my dogs in the morning i come home knackered.
I can't be bothered to go out and do anything else in the day.

what can i do to get over this?

I need advice please.

HeyMacWey Tue 03-Nov-15 17:13:52

Sounds like me two years ago - sadly still suffering now.
Do you feel as if you've been steam rollered?
Rest as much as you can and do not try to push through - listen to your body.
Go and see your doc for blood tests to rule out any other underlying conditions.
Don't take any supplements before taking the tests as this could skew results.
In the meantime, eat a healthy balanced diet (non processed foods and reduce amount of sugar). Might be worth thinking about cutting out caffeine so your not running on caffeine when your body should be resting.

ihatethecold Tue 03-Nov-15 17:32:03

Thanks Hey.
I don't have caffeine at all.
Trying to eat well.
I lived on toast for 2 weeks when unwell.
Reducing sugar is always a good idea. I love dark chocolate.
I haven't had any sugar apart from a little fruit since Sunday.
Not long I know but for me it is!

HeyMacWey Wed 04-Nov-15 11:52:15

Don't restrict yourself too much grin

Could you have a rest half way through your dog walk? This might help reduce the exhaustion you feel when you get home. Just a 10 minute sit down might help - pacing is the one thing that has made a difference to what I can achieve.

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 04-Nov-15 12:12:39

This is normal. It's just that we're so used to antibiotics and feeling better in 48 hours that we've forgotten what this is like. This is why people used to get sent away to convalescent homes by the sea.. You will need to pace yourself. No late nights, rest as often as you can, sort out your diet if it needs it, and most of all - be kind to yourself. This too shall pass.

ihatethecold Wed 04-Nov-15 13:48:47

smile
yes, send me away to convalesce by the sea please!

amarmai Thu 05-Nov-15 00:59:42

i'd add supplemental vitamins and minerals from a health food store.

PollyPerky Thu 05-Nov-15 09:28:33

It's normal so be patient. I had something like flu almost 6 weeks back- not full blown at death's door flu but more than a cold and was in bed for 2 days with severe shivering and sweating. I felt dreadful for 2 weeks - cancelled all work ( s/e) and it's taking me a long time to feel really 100% again.

Try to rest and eat healthily- I'm making myself gallons of soups- watercress and broccoli- with real homemade chicken stock - and upping all fruit and veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now