Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cold sores?!

(5 Posts)
Binglesplodge Tue 03-Nov-15 08:20:27

A few days ago the end of my tongue started to hurt. I assumed I had a mouth ulcer but it has continued to get more and more painful and looks more like a cluster of tiny white spots. It hurts to eat, drink and talk!

How is it possible that I've got to the age of 34 without having cold sores, then they suddenly appear? No kissing of strangers has occurred! Am I at risk of passing them on to my baby? How do I avoid that? Don't say I have to stop kissing him :-(

Hamsolo Tue 03-Nov-15 08:27:00

Can you get them on your tongue? Are you sure they're cold sores? If it's the first time you've had them, go to the GP if you can to get a proper diagnosis.

I have the regular kind, and you do need to be scrupulous about hand washing, not sharing towels etc if you have an outbreak so that you don't pass it on.

If it is a cold sore get the Boots light treatment device - it's a marvel. I've not had one for more than 2.5 years since using it.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 03-Nov-15 09:20:05

The Boots thing doesn't work on mine at all sad. It is possible to get them in places other than your lips, I get them in my forehead occasionally. Never heard of them on the tongue, might be worth consulting a pharmacist.

Binglesplodge Tue 03-Nov-15 17:56:29

Thanks: went to the doc as I also have what I thought was a cold: sore throat, cough, etc. He says it's probably a virus related to the one that causes hand, foot and mouth. Which is unlucky since I've already had that this year! The perils of having a baby bringing germs home from nursery all the time...

Better than mystery cold sores I guess! I was racking my brain trying to work out where I could have caught them!

Hamsolo Tue 03-Nov-15 19:57:22

Oh that is good! Much better not to have them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now