Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tips for life with a sleep apnoea sufferer? the snoring is driving me spare!

(24 Posts)
Nikitasol Mon 02-Nov-15 14:03:58

My partner has long term sleep apnoea and in the time we've been together due to the volcanic snoring, I probably have 2 nights in 7 of decent sleep. The rest of the time, I'll be woken up every hour with a renewed bout of rumbling. I wear ear plugs but can still hear him and end up sleeping in DS room most if the time. Does anyone else have this issue? It is the major source of conflict in our relationship cos we're both so tired. He's not overweight and has been to the doctor but there doesn't seem
To be any cure. Help!

VulcanWoman Mon 02-Nov-15 14:22:18

Do sleep aponea sufferers have to wear a breathing machine to help with this.

Salmiak Mon 02-Nov-15 14:25:51

Get him referred to ent at the hospital. They can find the cause of it (problems with the airway, the nose, the tongue falling back, etc). Once they've determined what causes it they can do something about it, (nasal surgery, a mouth appliance, a cpap machine, etc).

VulcanWoman Mon 02-Nov-15 14:31:45

Agree, it's not only annoying it can be life threatening.

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Nov-15 14:34:35

If he has sleep apnoea it needs treating. Go to the GP with him and ask for him to be referred to a sleep clinic (not ENT).

You don't have to be overweight to have OSA - dh has always had it, even when thin. His CPAP made the world of difference.

VimFuego101 Mon 02-Nov-15 14:35:49

Presumably if he has a diagnosis he has had a sleep study a CPAP machine will be provided shortly. Untreated sleep apnoea is very dangerous, so you need to chase up the clinic that diagnosed him.

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Nov-15 14:42:03

He needs a CPAP machine. Fil used to snore so loudly we could hear him 2 floors up. mil out up with it for 30 years before he sought help. The CPAP has revolutionised them both.

Nikitasol Mon 02-Nov-15 14:52:40

Doesn't the cpap machine make a racket too though?

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Nov-15 15:11:14

Nope, dh's makes far less noise than, say, having a fan on low in the bedroom.

VulcanWoman Mon 02-Nov-15 15:33:47

It'll be a revelation to you both! more importantly is his health though.

Themodernuriahheep Mon 02-Nov-15 15:36:23

About the same as a fan. Hideous but sooo helpful.

trinity0097 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:05:37

Cpap enables me to sleep so much better than before hubby started wearing it. Hardly any noise at all and what noise it does make is constant which is far better than the snoring and not breathing combo he used to make.

Get him to the GP to get referred to the sleep clinic.

Nikitasol Mon 02-Nov-15 19:11:00

Thank you. Do you buy a machine or is it on the NHS? And does it put a damper on bedroom activity iykwim?

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Nov-15 19:21:12

Its provided on the NHS, as are all the masks etc. And no.

Castrovalva Mon 02-Nov-15 19:28:50

CPAP makes hardly any noise. Maybe compared to a silent room, but compared to cataclysmic snoring....

VulcanWoman Mon 02-Nov-15 19:40:22

I can't believe your GP didn't suggest this years ago.

TweenageAngst Mon 02-Nov-15 19:49:36

You don't use it when you are awake- so no impact on sex life. You might find it improves it as you will both get a good nights sleep grin

Nikitasol Mon 02-Nov-15 22:15:44

I'm
Wondering what my partner will feel like about wearing it though as he's really proud and it's been tough to discuss it with him so wearing apparatus is going to be a big issue for him.

Nikitasol Mon 02-Nov-15 22:17:02

Is there any alternative to the cpap machine for sleep apnoea?

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Nov-15 22:23:46

To be brutally frank, he will just have to suck it up. Untreated OSA has a massive risk for heart attacks, stroke, diabetic eye disease, and a whole host of other issues. As well as the chronic tiredness which can have more effect on your driving than being over the alcohol limit.

And unless there is a very specific issue, CPAP is the only effective treatment - and is instantly effective

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 03-Nov-15 08:53:21

He is going to have to wear it. There is really no other alternative.

Its his health at stake here as well as your relationship. Can he not see that?. I would also remind him that pride comes before a fall.

Nikitasol Tue 03-Nov-15 14:35:52

How long does it take to get the cpap from the consultant?

trinity0097 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:09:08

Hubby got his immediately after the sleep study, but his score on the sleep study was appalling! I think that different trusts are different in how easily they give them out though.

annandale Wed 04-Nov-15 21:16:52

I wouldn't rush to discuss the possible treatments with him. Focus on getting him to the GP and referred. (and once the referral has gone off, cal the hospital after a fortnight or so to check it has got there.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now