Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Treating nits in your own hair without help... how exactly?

(11 Posts)
toastyarmadillo Sat 31-Oct-15 08:40:20

That's pretty much it, DD1 has generously shared head lice around the family, obviously I treated the kids, lotion, se toning hair and careful combing with a nitty gritty comb, but now need to do me to be sure. I am a lone parent and have nobody to treat mine, so will need to do it myself. Any tips on getting this done.

toastyarmadillo Sat 31-Oct-15 08:40:54

Se toning is sectioning

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 31-Oct-15 08:47:44

I did my own. Hair clip nitty gritty, conditioner and a big mirror.
It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I was probably a bit harder on my own head than I was on the dc because I could feel it.
I just clipped my hair up and combed section by section wiping on a towel after each one. We had circular nits earlier in the year every time I got the kids clear they were back again so I became a bit of an expert. Just take your time. Back can be a bit fiddly but a mirror helps you see where you've been and if you've missed a bit.

yeOldeTrout Sat 31-Oct-15 08:52:34

I just combed combed combed. Not possible with some types of hair, I know. I don't like the Nitty Gritty, I want to be able to see the critters I comb out.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 31-Oct-15 09:01:31

How old is dd1? children have very sharp eyes and make excellent nit detectives. Make it like a bug hunting activity.

southeastastra Sat 31-Oct-15 09:03:30

just use the comb every time you wash, use the lesser aggressive comb when it's clear just to check. it's quite addictive.

padkin Sat 31-Oct-15 12:16:29

I have very fine hair, and generally wet comb in the shower with conditioner on, but then you don't necessarily see the evidence. If I experience the tell tale itch, and think there's definitely something in there then I dry comb with a nitty gritty comb, standing up but with my head bent over combing down from roots to tip. I do it over a clean white pillow case on the bed. If I have lice they are combed out onto the pillow case. I sometimes get really teeny tiny ones that you can hardly see. Very satisfying. I work in a primary school where head lice is absolutely rampant so it's a daily possibility.

574ejones Sat 31-Oct-15 12:58:19

I used the Once treatment initially (expensive but worth it to know that you have nipped it in the bud) then used the nitty gritty comb on conditioned hair.

toastyarmadillo Sat 31-Oct-15 17:26:29

Thanks guys will have a go this evening once the dc are in bed, hoping it will be easier than I am worrying about.

wallywobbles Sat 31-Oct-15 17:32:01

Pre-treatment with long dry hair. We sit on kitchen chair lean over openA4 notebook and comb leaning over the paper from root to tip. Saves on back ache.

Pick up paper at the end and inspect under strong light. If it cracks it's a nit or an egg.

We have had real issues with school infestations so become expert.

Wirralmumof2 Sat 31-Oct-15 17:35:55

I've just tackled this!

It's easy enough to check and treat the children

For me- and I had nobody to help me
I treated myself the same day as I treated the children. Took every egg I could out of their hair

Then treated again on day 5 and again checked children's hair they were clear anyway

Treated again on day 10 and again checked children's hair ( still clear)

And then again on day 14

Overkill? Maybe. In the end I was so sick of not being sure/psychological itches/ ref infecting the children that I needed 100% certainty.

This method made sure that no eggs that survived the treatments and then hatched ever got old enough to lay their own eggs and the cycle was broken.

Repeated applications killed the newly hatched bastards

I tried combing my own hair and couldn't do it effectively enough to make sure I had got all the eggs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now