Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Headaches and periods....

(8 Posts)
Girlfriend36 Fri 30-Oct-15 16:29:56

I have spent another day laid up with a severe headache that does not respond to paracetamol, neurofen or even co codomol sad The headaches are worse around the time of my period, I seem to get them just before my period starts and as it ends.

Has anyone else has this and found anything that helps? It is really getting me down, I have been good for nothing today and feel like crap.

NewLeafExpat Fri 30-Oct-15 18:56:24

I would get excruciating headaches that just do not bugger off during my period but it was pill related, a wihdrawal headache from hormone crash.

Since stopping the pill I don't get it any more. Maybe check your contraception??

Otherwise the only advice I have is if u think you are getting "one of those" headaches, take the strongest painkiller u have before bed and hopefully it'll pass in the night. If not I found it was worse than ever in the morning .

Feeling Sorry for u, hope it passes soon

Girlfriend36 Fri 30-Oct-15 20:18:40

Thanks, am not on any contraception as am single at the moment! Have been on the pill in the past, think the headaches were slightly better but had other symptoms like constant nausea!!

Head still feeling fuzzy and generally feeling bleugh so am in bed!

Yddraigoldragon Fri 30-Oct-15 20:20:32

I used to get migraines related to periods, so three days each month. Go to GP and see what they can do, over the counter stuff did not help me but my GP sorted it.

Girlfriend36 Fri 30-Oct-15 20:49:08

What did your Gp suggest Yddraig? Have spoken to the Dr before about the headaches but think will have to go back as they are getting worse.

Yddraigoldragon Fri 30-Oct-15 23:55:35

I have Naramig aka Naratriptan which works if I can take as soon as I realise I am starting one. Generally I wake up with a muzzy head, sometimes really early so if I can take a pill and some paracetamol and go back to sleep I can stop the pain. Often it is hormonal and stress related, I would have a recollection of awful dreams or arguments, not sure if it was a trigger or another migraine symptom.
The meds do not always take the headache completely away, I am aware of the pressure but it is removed slightly so I can function.
GP also tried something else mebbe beta blockers daily as a preventer, which was not as effective.
It would be worth keeping a diary for a while, it would help the GP, plotting migraines and severity, menstrual cycle, stress level and what you eat.

amarmai Sun 01-Nov-15 23:28:28

yes to migraines connected to hormonal cycle. I use 2 remedies- old one is eat a few fever few leaves as soon as it starts New one magnesium citrate capsules along with vits - multi Bs, high dose C powder in water- drink lots with 1/2 tspoon per glass, D. Take the vits every day.

Girlfriend36 Mon 02-Nov-15 10:00:15

Thank you someone else recommended the magnesium so def going to look into that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now