Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tongue sore and feeling something stuck in back of mouth

(8 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Fri 30-Oct-15 14:42:56

Keep having a sore tongue down the left side accompanied by a sensation that something has scratched the back roof of my mouth near my throat. Run it past dentist but said all looked healthy and I can't see anything. I will have it for a few days then it may go away for a few weeks. Non smoker and drinker. Anyone know what this might be?

gingeroots Fri 30-Oct-15 14:55:52

acid reflux can make your throat sore ,do you sleep on your left side ?

Notthinkingclearly Fri 30-Oct-15 18:40:41

Thanks Ginger. Did wonder if it could be refux. Been under alot of stress recently. Would it effect my tongue too?

TweedAddict Fri 30-Oct-15 18:53:50

This may work or not, depends if something is stuck. It's a little uncomfortable but I get tablets stuck a lot and they would be there for weeks before going.

Try tilting your head right back, so that your chin is the highest point. Then try to stick your tongue in that position, and swallow at the same time. Basically, this stretches the throat and swallowing will push anything down.

If you can cope doing that, may take a few times then try doing it with a mouth full of water, it may get messy. But a quick fix that works.

Hope that helps

Heyheyheygoodbye Fri 30-Oct-15 18:58:24

DH gets this. It's always acid reflux. He takes Tums or similar, eases off the booze/rich food for a bit, and it goes away.

gingeroots Fri 30-Oct-15 19:47:05

Well reflux can make your throat sore so I suppose it's possible it might make your tongue sore .That's why I wondered what side you slept on ,was thinking the acid might travel to the side of your mouth while you were lying down .

You could try sleeping in a more upright position - lots of pillows ,V shaped one at back ,pillow under each thigh to stop you slipping down .Or raise head of bed by about 4 inches and see if that helps .

But I've not heard of a sore tongue before so if it persists I'd go to the GP .

Good luck .

Mrsmorton Fri 30-Oct-15 22:33:38

I'd go to the GP if it's been going on more than 2 weeks OP.

Just FYI, HPV is more of a risk for head and neck cancer than smoking is apparently. That's fairly hot off the press news.

A GP visit would not be wasted. I'm
Sorry if I've worried you but awareness is so important.

helzapoppin2 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:52:23

Thrush?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now