Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe back muscle pain after seizure

(5 Posts)
bilbodog Fri 30-Oct-15 11:47:51

Hi I'm posting on behalf of my DH who has epilepsy but never suffered like this before. 12 days ago he had a cluster of 5 seizures, he normally has 3, and the last one left him unable to get out if bed for 4 days and he is still suffering with severe pain, mainly from back muscles. Can't seem to find any useful advice out there as to what might help. Dr suggested paracetamol which he is taking but isn't helping much. He is getting quite depressed now and worried in case it happens again as this has really affected his ability to do every day stuff including work. Anyone out there experienced severe muscle pain after seizures??

MatildaTheCat Fri 30-Oct-15 15:54:19

No experience of seizures but plenty of back pain. Since it is related to probably back spasm I would think heat would help relax the muscles, hot baths, hot water bottle etc. and if possible a proper sports type massage by a trained therapist could really help. Has he tried lots of stretches?

If the pain is bad try taking paracetamol and ibuprofen ( if he tolerates it) at intervals.nthis is usually quite effective.

CatsRule Sat 31-Oct-15 08:45:55

My ds has epilepsy and two seizures have been very prolonged, 45 mins and 1 hr, both requiring emergency treatment. It took him at least a week or more to recover and seem back to himself again. He is only 3 so it's difficult to tell how he actually feels, he was under 2 and 2.5 when the prolonged seizures happened so he couldn't really say or understand how he felt but I imagine being that tense for so long would be sore.

KurriKurri Sat 31-Oct-15 22:14:12

My sister gets very severe muscle pain in her back - she takes tramadol and a muscle relaxant - might be worth your DH asking the doc about a muscle relaxant. Do his epilepsy meds restrict what kind of pain relief etc he can take?

I would definitely not accept 'take paracetamol' if it isn't touching the pain - see if you can speak to the doc on the phone and get them to prescribe something.

This may very well be irrelevant, but does he have warning before seizures, and was he on his own? - I only ask because my DNeice has lots of without warning seizures and sometimes doesn't know if she hits herself on something and after one a few months ago was complaining of a sore ankle, which didn't seem to get better - eventually has had it x-rayed and found she had broken a bit off the bone when she fell. I was thinking maybe your DH might have cracked a rib or something during his seizure ?

bilbodog Mon 02-Nov-15 18:02:09

Hi thanks for the feedback - he does get warnings and was able to lay on the bed so we are pretty sure he didn't hit anything. I was downstairs when it happened so nobody saw what the seizure was like. He has recovered a lot over this weekend and used some heat patches which seem to have helped so looks like he is over the worst. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now