Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DM says she has burst a blood vessel in her leg??

(6 Posts)
BernardsBum Thu 29-Oct-15 21:55:28

Rang DM tonight for a catch up. She mentions that she can hardly walk or even stand - her knee is hurting and she thinks she's burst a blood vessel in her leg (described sharp pain then said she could see blood vessels beneath skin). I suggested she should go to A&E - outraged at this, so suggested call 111 - not having that, so then suggested GP - flatly refused. She has a history of heart disease, has had a heart attack, got unstable angina.
How worried should I be? I've never heard of this before so i don't quite know how to handle it.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 29-Oct-15 22:01:23

Does she think her hurting knee is related to the blood vessel? Is all the pain in her knee or does she have calf pain as well?

Is she normally fit and well?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 29-Oct-15 22:06:35

Apart from the angina/heart problems obviously! grin

If she has dull ache in her calf, it feels warm, looks swollen or is red it could be a dvt and she should be seen urgently.

It could be varicose veins if she's seeing veins she doesn't normally see??

But if she can't walk well she needs to see her gP tomorrow. Can you ring them in the morning?

BernardsBum Thu 29-Oct-15 22:07:06

Yes she thinks the burst vessel is causing the knee pain - from what I can gather it's the back of the knee.
Fit & healthy - no, not given heart probs

BernardsBum Thu 29-Oct-15 22:09:12

X-post! She didn't mention it feeling hot, did say it was swollen though. I'm over there in the mornin, so will try to get GP appoint

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 29-Oct-15 22:12:21

Even if it's a varicose vein which has burst it could maybe indicate small clots. I'm no expert btw (midwife not a Dr or nurse) but I would want to get her seen tomorrow. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: