Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast feeding - lump - normal?

(12 Posts)
prettyknackered Thu 29-Oct-15 10:59:29

I know that my breasts get hard when they are full and I have missed a feed, but yesterday and today I noticed after dd has fed, and the breast goes softer there is still a very big hard lump which is sore to touch on the lower left side of my left breast. It is only on the one side, the area isn't red just a vein going across it and it looks swollen, I don't know if I should be worried?

Haggisfish Thu 29-Oct-15 11:03:35

Probably just a blocked duct. I would go to gp and ask them to chevk, just to be on the safe side. I had lumpy boobs a lot while bf, especially around the six month weaning mark.

prettyknackered Thu 29-Oct-15 11:13:38

Thanks, I didn't think it would be a blocked duct because there is no redness and massaging towards the nipple doesn't seem to do anything, but I will make an appointment with the gp to be sure

Haggisfish Thu 29-Oct-15 11:31:57

Have you tried putting baby in a different position to feed and massaging while baby is feeding? This often worked for me. Final resort was having a hot bath and massaging lump and then quickly feeding baby or feeding while in the (not quite so hot!) bath.

Haggisfish Thu 29-Oct-15 11:32:46

I would lie baby on bed and dangle boob over baby to feed upside down while massaging.

mintbiscuit Thu 29-Oct-15 11:36:30

I get this sometimes. Try rugby hold for next few feeds to unblock duct and drain that side properly.

prettyknackered Thu 29-Oct-15 18:30:31

How long will it normally take to subside? I've been following your advice all day and it's the same, the rest of the breast softens but the lump is just as big hard and tender. The lump is quite big the size of a tennis ball

Titsywoo Thu 29-Oct-15 18:33:42

I had one of these and firmly running a fine tooth comb across it towards the nipple got rid when massaging didn't. If it's sore it's fine I'm sure.

Titsywoo Thu 29-Oct-15 18:34:31

Oh that's quite big actually you should get seen soon so you don't get mastitis.

Haggisfish Thu 29-Oct-15 19:27:05

Yes, that is quite large-I'd make a gp appt for tomorrow, as an emergency if necessary.

prettyknackered Fri 30-Oct-15 11:20:53

Thank you everybody for all your advice. I continued to massage, then filled a dry nappy with hot water and covered my breast with it. I fed dd this morning and checked it afterwards and the lump had gone. I feel so much better now!

Haggisfish Fri 30-Oct-15 12:47:01

Hurray!! So glad it's gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now