Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach cramps, nausea, bloating etc with no obvious cause

(19 Posts)
TickledOnion Wed 28-Oct-15 21:33:44

For the last couple of weeks I have had a bout of awful stomach cramps, nausea, wind and occasionally diarrhea lasting 1 to 2 hours almost every day.

I thought it was coffee so cut that out one day. Felt fine the next day but bad again the day after. Had coffee again and felt fine. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. It started off being in the morning but I've also had a couple of episodes in the evening. I've had it on days when I've eaten very little and days I've eaten plenty. Didn't have it the evening I had a big meal out and drank lots.

I feel completely fine the rest of the time but horrendous when I get it. Any ideas what it could be?

Giardia?

Have you been to a doctor or had a stool sample tested?

TickledOnion Wed 28-Oct-15 22:07:57

That's a good a guess as any. I haven't been to the dr. I just assumed it was some kind of intolerance.

TickledOnion Wed 28-Oct-15 22:08:20

I'll make an appointment.

Have you been on holiday recently? Or do you have a child still in nappies?

My son picked it up on a family holiday and we all caught it from him. He had an acute version with masses of diarrhoea and sickness. The rest of us had lengthier, less obvious symptoms - months of feeling nauseous - before putting two and two together.

My doctor says it's more common than thought, and very easily spread in nurseries etc because of nappy changes.

TickledOnion Wed 28-Oct-15 22:20:36

Dd2 still poos in a pull-up (despite all my best efforts). But both DDs have been fine. We haven't been away since summer.

BellaNoir Wed 28-Oct-15 22:27:57

Why would you suddenly develop an intolerence to something?
I had terrible stomach/abdomen pain last week, initially thought it was trapped wind, then thought I'd pulled muscle. Went to the GP. It was appendicitis! shock Ended up being sent in for surgery same day!

TickledOnion Wed 28-Oct-15 22:32:34

I was under the impression an intolerance or allergy could develop at any age.

Chloenewoneagain Wed 28-Oct-15 22:33:27

I literally wrote a post like this today. For about 4 months now had on/off/random stomach pains and cramping. Had urine and blood tests done but fine. Now I'm off for a scan on Saturday really scared as too what it is! Defiantly see your doctor, I also have random diahrea and constipation. Let us know how you get on if you like, it's so confusing and stressful as its not something easy to diagnose yourself. Good luck and I hope it's nothing major.

TickledOnion Wed 28-Oct-15 22:34:47

4 months! That sounds horrendous. Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

TimonAndPumbaa Wed 28-Oct-15 22:36:15

Ah you poor thing, I really sympathise. I was like this for a couple of years. Was eventually found to be coeliac so can't eat gluten. Even after stopping gluten I found I still had some symtoms albeit smaller and easier to live with ones but my consultant told me about the fodmap diet which is recommended for people with bowel issues. I also cut out dairy as found I was bad after that. So now I eat no gluten, no dairy and no foods on the fodmap list and I'm absolutely fine. It felt restrictive at first but I'm used to it now so it's fine and as well as being symptom free I feel a lot healthier.

However, before you try cutting out food groups I'd definitely go and sed your gp. Mine did a load of blod tests when I first went to rule out many things then scanned me for gall stones. She tried to send me away then with an ibs diagnosis but I pushed to be referred to a consultant who carried out an endoscopy (camera down mouth and into intestine) and that's how they diagnosed the coeliac. I do think I have a bit of ibs with it too.

with the test for coeliac you do need to be eating gluten before the test so don't start cutting it out yet!

Oh the last thing I will add is that when I first cut out gluten I didn't see a result straight away, it takes a while for it to leave your system. I think it's probably the same for any type of food so donty be disheartened if you don't see results straight away when doing elimination diets.

TimonAndPumbaa Wed 28-Oct-15 22:39:41

Just to add mine developed suddenly too, no bowel issues whatsoever prior to that. There are some people with 'bowel issues' in my family (never been diagnosed with anything just put it down to sensitive tummy) but these things can be hereditary, does anyone in your family suffer with similar?

Chloenewoneagain Wed 28-Oct-15 22:40:50

Yes! I tried too deal with it for a month or two on my own but it ended up getting to the point where I was scaring my 2yo creasing over with pain so had too go. Couldn't deal with it any longer waiting for it too go on its own. Me too! Just hoping it's something minor like a random intolerance or something? and same with you.

CordeliaFoxx Wed 28-Oct-15 23:01:40

Are you on the Depo injection by any chance?

Chloenewoneagain Thu 29-Oct-15 11:36:51

Me or tickled? Im not I was on it a few years ago before pregnancy, it messed me up then as well in terms of periods.

TickledOnion Thu 29-Oct-15 12:58:20

I'm not on depo. I felt terrible all night so am off to the dr tomorrow.

CordeliaFoxx Thu 29-Oct-15 16:11:08

Just thought I'd ask as they are some of the side effects of it.

Chloenewoneagain Fri 06-Nov-15 18:09:20

Hi tickled! I had an ultrasound and have a suspected polycystic ovary! Left one is 4x larger than right apparently. Just thought I'd update, blood tests done and waiting for next doc app to see what happens next.

Indiechic Tue 17-Nov-15 14:13:46

Hiya. Just wondered if you have had any further diagnoses?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now