Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anxiety or Hyperactive Thyroid?

(18 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Tue 27-Oct-15 14:00:18

My baby is a year old, when she was 3 months old I became unwell with the following symptoms:

Jitteriness,
Nausea,
Lack of appetite,
Couldn't sit still or relax,
Couldn't focus on anything,
Racing heart beat,
Sweating (especially at night),
Tearfulness,
Mood swings (mainly low mood to even lower mood!)

Dr diagnosed me with PND (or post natal anxiety to be more specific) and I've been taking sertraline ever since. After a few months on 50mg my symptoms came back for seemingly no reason. So I went up to 100mg and had talking therapies. After a while I felt better. However 2 weeks ago my symptoms came back AGAIN, but worse. I'm exhausted all the time, my whole body aches but still so jittery that I can't relax or sit still. The night sweats are also back and I wake up soaking wet and freezing cold every night. So I went back to the GP (by chance, a different GP this time) who said my symptoms are typical of hyperactive thyroid. I'm now waiting for my blood test results.

Has anyone else been in this situation?
What do you think of my symptoms?
Could this be why my symptoms keep coming back?

I know it's a silly thing to say, but I'm almost hoping it is my thyroid. I've always felt my symptoms were more physical than anything else and I was so angry with myself for having anxiety when everything in my life was so perfect. I have an 'easy' baby, tonnes of support, no problems like finance etc. My mental health over the last year has corroded away at my relationship with my partner. He is now depressed I think.

Anyway, I'm rambling now! And I guess I could still have anxiety and a normal thyroid. But would welcome any opinions/experiences.

Bellyrub1980 Tue 27-Oct-15 15:02:10

Another question:

The thing about my symptoms is that they come on, last for a few weeks and then quite suddenly resolve. Is this possible for a thyroid disorder? To change so quickly?? Or is it more characteristic of anxiety?

Hastagwhatever Tue 27-Oct-15 15:06:56

I'd ask to have my thyroid function and antibodies tested via the GP.

Unfortunately having a thyroid problem especially a Autoimmune one is not something where there is a quick fix either.

Worth getting tested though.

NotTodaySatan Tue 27-Oct-15 15:08:12

I had every single symptom on your list when I was diagnosed with Graves Disease Hyperthyroidism. I thought I was losing my marbles tbh.

Go to the GP and ask for your thyroid to be checked?

LemonBreeland Tue 27-Oct-15 15:16:59

Pretty much what NotTodaySatan sais. I had almost every one of your symptoms and was diagnosed with Graves. I also thought I was losing the plot.

Also the fact that you've had a baby means that it could have caused the hyperthyroidism. It is a long hard slog to fix that , but it would be better than just being on anti depressants if that isn't what is wrong with you.

Have you had any other symptoms? Lack of periods, or gaps between them? Unexplained weight loss or gain?

i would definitely ask for blood tests to check thyroid function

Bellyrub1980 Tue 27-Oct-15 15:26:36

She took my blood yesterday and should have results by Thursday. Is it weird that I'm hoping it's my thyroid??!

As for periods I'm taking the progesterone only pill so don't have any periods.

My weight increased after having my baby despite breast feeding her for 10 months. I think I must be the only woman in the world who gained weight breast feeding! I realise this isn't typical of a hyperactive thyroid.

Can your thyroid function go up and down overnight?

mummypig3 Tue 27-Oct-15 15:33:48

Some of those symptoms can be side effects of the mini pill. I had to stop taking it and also having investigation for thyroid problems. I also have terrible anxiety which I'm not taking anything for at the moment but will probably be given something if my results come back normal again, which happened a few years ago, but I've had another child since which can trigger thyroid problems

Hastagwhatever Tue 27-Oct-15 16:03:14

I have hashimoto thyroiditis so my thyroid swings between hyper and hypo eventually it will end up hypo and stay that way.

I started off as hyper with similar symptoms to yours.

What bloods were tested?

Pleasemrstweedie Tue 27-Oct-15 16:56:23

Could be either underactive (Hashimoto's) or overactive (Graves). Symptoms can be confusing, but it definitely sounds like thyroid.

They need to test the right antibodies to be sure.

TPO and TgAB for Hashis
TRAB for Graves

Bellyrub1980 Tue 27-Oct-15 18:54:56

She said the was testing my thyroid function along with lots of other things, kidney, liver, white blood cell, ES4... Or something???

AgentCooper Tue 27-Oct-15 21:13:31

I have everything on your list and went to GP about my thyroid. That came back fine but she found I have anaemia and probably have done for some time. I've had bad anxiety for years and wonder how much the iron deficiency has contributed to it because when your body's not right your mind follows.

Totally understand you hoping for a diagnosis- anxiety and all its physical symptoms are awful and I'm trying so hard to keep reminding myself that my body's actually not well. flowers I really hope things get better for you.

Bellyrub1980 Tue 27-Oct-15 23:26:46

Thank you, I've never had a mental health problem before having my baby. I expected it to be hard but, quite honestly, despite the sheer joy of having a perfect baby who I love dearly, this has been the hardest year of my life. I really thought I had recovered too, she's a year old now, yet I still feel this way.

The worst effect is how it has changed my relationship with my partner. My personality has changed so much, I know I'm no longer the person he fell in love with. I just want to get back to being me again.

Starting to wonder if that will ever happen.

Tram10 Thu 29-Oct-15 03:14:03

Same symptoms here and diagnosed with Graves Disease. Unfortunately, it is regularly misdiagnosed as anxiety, depression etc.

Let us know when you get your results.

Clarella Thu 29-Oct-15 16:05:48

It could be and symptoms can waver.

Ironically sertaline can interfere a bit with thyroid hormones so could have played a part in it some how (ie reduced the extra t4 your body was making if you have hyperthyroidism).

Only way to know for sure is bloods, let us know when you have them.

Ideal antibodies should be taken too.

Bellyrub1980 Thu 29-Oct-15 20:09:25

Well apparently my results are back at the surgery but the GP hadn't read them yet so I need to phone in the morning.

I think this probably means the results all came back normal because they probably flag up the abnormal ones to be read earlier in the day... Right?

mummypig3 Thu 29-Oct-15 21:20:03

Let us know how you get on

hiccupgirl Fri 30-Oct-15 07:46:29

I have had serious anaemia for well over a year now and have lots of similar symptoms particularly when my iron levels were really bad. I also have been struggling with anxiety and panic attacks and this is improving as my iron levels improve.

I hope the results come back with something helpful. As much as you want the old you back, having a baby does change you as any major life experience does. Your partner may need to accept that you have changed just as he probably has (though men generally as less impacted by having a baby than women IME).

Clarella Tue 03-Nov-15 12:31:39

Have you got any further on Belly?

I have remembered that over active thyroid leaves makes food shoot through you, very loose bowels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now