Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stitches and wound care advice.

(5 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 27-Oct-15 10:39:46

Recently had a fairly significant cut that required 4 (non-dissolving) stitches. The care sheet that came with them told me to rub Vaseline into any scabs to soften them. I have been doing this frequently as it also stops the wound from becoming stiff and uncomfortable.

Had stitches out today and nurse suggested I should stop putting Vaseline on the wound and let it dry out to heal more effectively. She mentioned moist wound healing as if it were some new development she didn't agree with.

When breast feeding I found that.moist wound healing was definitely the way to go - but I don't know if that applies to wounds on other parts of the body?

The wound is on an area of skin that experiences a lot of movement (eg over shoulder blade) if that makes any difference.?

My prime concern is comfort and good healing, its going to look horrible whatever I do.

Any advice on the best way to care for it?

Almostfifty Tue 27-Oct-15 21:27:30

Bio oil is good, keeps it moisturised and helps it heal.

Florriesma Tue 27-Oct-15 21:31:56

So is it healed and dry? No oozing gaps or anything? If it is then I second the bio oil. If not then I would get to another nurse for a dressing.
(Moist wound healing is evidenced based and been around for at least 20yrs!)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 27-Oct-15 22:08:22

No oozing gaps, although there seems to be a very slight seep at the lower end (keep getting a tiny scab there). Not healed yet - no "strenuous exercise" for another three weeks. Not had any sort of dressing since 48hrs after stitches put in. Will look at bio oil - thanks smile

Florriesma Tue 27-Oct-15 22:36:00

I'd there is still a slight seep then I would cover it with mepore dressing for now. If it doesn't improve by Thursday I would go and get it checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now