Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long was your longest ever period and/or post-hysterectomy experiences..

(17 Posts)
lborgia Tue 27-Oct-15 06:40:14

I'm apparently perimenopausal - just turned 45. Mostly this explains very weird cycles. In the last 2 years I've had 2 d&cs for polyps and a major lap for much endo adhesion removal throughout my torso (de-velcro'ing my guts - sorry).

I've always had the most regular of cycles, and in the last 5 years these have been appalling - if only for 4-5 days. As in, can't really leave the house confidently. These 28 day cycles then started to be anywhere between 14 and 35 day cycles, and the actual period from 4-12 days long.

So, since the most recent d&c the bleeding has definitely got easier to handle, but the length of time hasn't changed (obviously, that's a hormone issue).. still very long periods some months. I'm NOW on my 20TH day of a period with little sign of let up.

I cannot take the pill, mirena, anything with artificial hormones in it - I become suicidal (and fat, but that seems slightly shallow by comparison hmm).

I take tablets which help slow very heavy bleeding, but obviously length of period is a hormone thing. Two gynaecologists and 2 gps feel that my only option now is a hysterectomy (as in they don't see the point in talking anymore because that's all there is left in their artillery).

I don't want one. But maybe I'm being stubborn. I'm wondering whether to just grit teeth til it's over (apparently it could be up to another 7-8 years), or take off my big girl pants and let them remove this body part.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Lu

lborgia Tue 27-Oct-15 10:31:30

Bump, ber bump bump buuuump..

lborgia Tue 27-Oct-15 20:01:36

Seriously? No one? Wow, maybe I should be more worried. ..

Having said that, glad no one else is going through this.

Bombaybunty Tue 27-Oct-15 20:05:45

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy just over a year ago. Hideously heavy periods. It took me a couple of years to persuade someone to do the op but it was worth it.

Best thing I ever did, recovery took a couple of weeks, felt very tired.

Had ovaries taken out so I'm on HRT.

Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know.

lborgia Tue 27-Oct-15 20:31:25

Thanks so much bunty !

My doctor said he'd leave the ovaries - to avoid instant menopause - why did you have yours taken out? I mean was that actually a choice?

Did you have any emotions about "losing" your uterus? also, a friend was talking about it propping up other structures? ! I have visions of my insides falling down hmm

Bombaybunty Tue 27-Oct-15 20:34:18

I was 52 when I had it done so my ovaries hadn't got long left to function! Also it reduces the ovarian cancer risk.

Your uterus doesn't hold anything up! Nothing will fall out if it's taken away.

Bombaybunty Tue 27-Oct-15 20:35:56

I had a lot of fertility problems so was surprised that I wasn't emotional over the loss of my uterus. Realistically I was way past the age to get pregnant again.

Do you have children?

lborgia Tue 27-Oct-15 20:51:24

Yes, I have two primary school age and bring pregnant made me very ill. .I suppose I'm still wistful about not ever having enjoyed the pg/newborn--/first 3 years--stage, maybe I need to get my head around that separately. I always hoped it would be different 'next time". Rationally I know there won't be a next time, but I think part of my brain hasn't caught up.

Also I'm feeling very old and tired at the moment and it that this proves it. Utter nonsense from the little grey cells smile

mumsnit Tue 27-Oct-15 20:56:46

Sympathising flowers

Have a friend currently recovering from hysterectomy op but definitely pleased she went through with it as was becoming unbearable with bleeding and constant migraines too. Glad the docs are taking you seriously and offering the option at least.

My periods have also been truly horrendous for a few years now - I only get a few days in between. Have mirena and also on several different mini pills to try and stop/regulate the bleeding but hate the side effects and is not helping much sad

Like bunty, I have to persuade GP to consider other options as its just been medication all the way so far and blaming genetics as my mum had same problems.

a1way5wr0ng Tue 27-Oct-15 21:43:33

Hi Iborgia, I had a hysterectomy just over 12 months ago due to fibroids taking over my uterus. I had ridiculously long periods, bleeding 2-3 weeks out of 4 and so painful it affected my work life, my relationship with my DH and my confidence.
I had an abdominal hysterectomy and just had my uterus removed, they won't remove your ovaries unless they need to as surgical menopause haas it's own issues. My recovery took about 2-3 months and for the first week or so were pretty tough, I won't lie. But I feel so much better now. My life is no longer dictated by my periods. I just feel so much more freedom, and certainly don't feel less feminine wink
I don't post often so I don't know if I can recommend other sites but I found www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk invaluable. They have information, forums and support that I found so helpful.
Good luck Iborgia, I hope you get the support you need to make a decision that works for you. flowers

lborgia Wed 28-Oct-15 01:33:32

Thank you so much for your posts - nit I really really can't go back to mirena or pill - I'm starting to wonder about "alternative" herbs or something but boiling bark everyday would be difficult for me as the most un routine person ever.

a1ways I was assuming I'd have keyhole surgery - any special reason you had full surgery? Yes you're allowed to link and that looks so helpful, thank you.

I really appreciate the empathy on here too - DH expresses wide eyed horror at having to deal with days of bleeding but also of having me out of action for more than a week smile. It sounds like a crazy problem to have but when the system is as it is here; the consultants are pretty happy to operate if you have no obvious issues (in your 20s, maybe still wanting children I assume).. They certainly don't expect you to put up with it has nothing to do with making £5k out of it obviously I trust my current gynae completely, but they're not working within budgetary constraints. It must make a difference.

Thank you so much!

thiskiwicanfly Wed 28-Oct-15 02:12:24

I had a hysterectomy at 39 (last year) after hideously long, painful and super often periods (14 days bleed, max of 7 days break then off we went again). I BEGGED to have it done because they don't like doing it under 40.

Best thing that has happened to me in a long time. The operation took some recovery and even though I had known for 10 years that I definitely didn't want any more children there was a little mourning at the fact that I now didn't have a choice - but overall life is so much better.

I actually have energy now. I don't have to stress about going out places and flooding. I get to go swimming with my daughter whenever I want. My iron levels at least register on the scale, in fact they're normal for the first time in more than 10 years. And my mood has improved immensely because that's one more worry that I never have to face again. (It is weird to be able to skip a whole half of an aisle in the supermarket though - and your grocery bill goes down...)

I did try all the other options first, mirena, hormone pills, transexamic acid, pretty much anything that I could find, and this is the only thing that actually made me feel like a human again.

In the long run it comes down to how much this is affecting your life, and the lives of those around you. If it isn't too much of a bother then not having the surgery is a valid option, but if it's causing lots of bother and there aren't any more options then I'd go for it.

sianihedgehog Wed 28-Oct-15 03:52:07

My longest period was 35 days. Apparently I REALLY don't get on with the progesterone only pill, rather than stopping my periods it made them UTTERLY random, with several extremely long ones. Went back off the pill and they returned to normal (7 day period every 32 days), so I'm afraid I've no useful advice on the treatment.

a1way5wr0ng Wed 28-Oct-15 20:25:33

Iborgia I had HUGE multiple fibroids, too big to remove by keyhole. My uterus was 6lbs when they weighed it! No longer looking 7 months pregnant is a great plus point too smile I think your consultant would probably recommend the easiest, least invasive surgery which would be laparoscopic or vaginal.
Hysterectomy Assoc was so helpful to me. they have chat rooms for women who will be having surgery during the same month as you, so it's a great place to share your concerns and support. One great result was that I met some amazing women who I now consider friends,
I have to agree with pretty much everything Thiskiwi says, no bleeding means my iron levels are back up and I have so much more energy, I've started swimming again, our sex life has improved and I just feel more confident knowing I'm not going to get caught out. I don't miss my periods at all.
Siani I really feel for you, I know exactly what you're going through. Has your Dr discussed possible causes? It took ages for me to get diagnosed and I get the feeling that some doctor's don't really want to get to the root of the problem, I got brushed off so many times with 'it's just women's problems!' angry It's worth keeping a diary of you cycle and your symptoms, you shouldn't have to just put up with it.

tobee Sat 31-Oct-15 22:19:17

Me too. I had a hysterectomy in June (abdominal, conserving ovaries) because of fibroid. I had totally hideous periods for some years with bleeds that terrified my family (yes they could be that public) and nearly fainting. I I was also bleeding in some way for pretty much the entire month. I was incredibly lucky that the op was almost a breeze with no pain, just some discomfort. I am so happy not to be having any more bleeding and will not again. I have bought some lovely/sexy pants to celebrate! I am 47.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Mon 02-Nov-15 05:06:35

I used to have horrendous periods - really heavy bleeding for up to 18 days each month. I tried everything - Mirena, the pill, Tranexamic Acid etc.

It turned out that I had massive fibroids. I had them removed (vaginal surgery). It has completely sorted it.. The op was fairly straightforward and recovery was very quick.

Have you had a hysteroscopy? Although my gp thought I probably had fibroids, it was only when i had the hysteroscopy that it was clear about where they were and how big they were. My consultant did warn me that if the removal didnt sort the problem, the next step would be a hysterectomy. I do have some fibroids left in the wall of my uterus, as it wasn't possible to remove those surgically, but they arent causing me any problems.

Hope you get it sorted.

TeddyBearSam Sat 19-Dec-15 22:13:48

This thread is interesting because I'm due to have a hysterectomy next year due to extreme periods. My periods are lasting 60 days with a four day break between them. I have tried the coil, the pill, tranexamic acid etc. I have bad anemia and although they have tried iron tablets I now need iron infusions.
I hope this will work because at the moment my quality of life is rubbish and at 34 I've had enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now