Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In agony after tooth extraction

(9 Posts)
sltorres9 Tue 27-Oct-15 02:46:21

Hi all,
Apologies if this isn't the right place, I need somebody else's opinion as I'm pretty clueless with things like this
I had my adult molar removed yesterday at 11am, I'm still in agony and I mean agony as in its pulsing, eating or drinking makes the area pulse more. My lip is still numb too is this normal?
I have a 16mo child to look after and I've only managed to sleep an hour!

goodasitgets Tue 27-Oct-15 02:53:58

Dry socket possibly? Get some painkillers down, ibuprofen and paracetamol or cocodamol if you have it
Ring dentist in the morning, they can pack it with this clove tasting stuff which is like instant relief!

OffMyAyersRocker Tue 27-Oct-15 03:35:57

Agree with good. Sounds like dry socket. I get this with teeth extraction (discovered after l had 4 wisdom teeth out )

I get antibiotics for it and it's better almost immediately. Call your dentist asap tomorrow.

ColderThanAWitchsMammaries Tue 27-Oct-15 06:21:23

Yes sounds like dry socket, dentist will pack it which helps tremendously

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 27-Oct-15 06:27:54

Same reply - sounds like dry socket, get back to the dentist asap and get it re-packed and possibly antibiotics.
Take ibuprofen and paracetamol alternately every few hours (to the max dose of each in 24h) to try and alleviate the pain until then.

sltorres9 Tue 27-Oct-15 16:23:49

Can dry socket occur just a day after though? My face feels so tight around the area, I can barely open it its so sore. Not as painful as an abscess but the throbbing in so uncomfortable

goodasitgets Tue 27-Oct-15 16:37:11

Yep. Mine started v soon after but that's because I'm an idiot and smoke grin

Felyne Tue 27-Oct-15 16:41:44

Sounds like dry socket. I had the same thing after an extraction a few weeks ago. The pain! Fortunately it got better, I saw the dentist and they put a dressing in which helped.
I read up about dry socket and I am none of the people deemed 'most at risk' so I thought it was terribly unfair!

R0nJ0n Tue 27-Oct-15 16:47:05

Dry socket is a pain like no other, it's its own circle of hell. Mine set in very soon after molar extraction, it can be pretty quick. Get back to the dentist for packing of the socket, it does help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now