Talk

Advanced search

Tramadol wrecking my appetite

(23 Posts)
SeasonalVag Mon 26-Oct-15 22:23:55

Is this normal? I'm barely eating, really can't eat much. It's not overly bothering me as I'm only likely to be on it a couple of weeks.... But I'm surprised.

OP’s posts: |
AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 26-Oct-15 22:25:11

How long have you been on it? It usually passes after a few days, for me.

SeasonalVag Tue 27-Oct-15 00:23:35

A week ? I haven't had anything approaching a proper meal in that time. Does it numb hunger signals along g with pain?

PurpleHairAndPearls Tue 27-Oct-15 00:33:20

I found tramadol severely affected my appetite. I have taken it long term and my appetite never really come back, tbh. However I take other stuff and have chronic pain so it might not just be the tramadol.

It's weird isn't it? I used to be a real foodie, always either cooking or thinking about my next meal blush but now my DH has to cajole me into eating a bowl of cereal! Still at least I can get into my pre DC clothes grin

My GP said it was a common side effect. If it's only short term and you're not underweight though I wouldn't worry too much, otherwise it might be worth speaking to your GP.

PurpleHairAndPearls Tue 27-Oct-15 00:37:08

Soups might be good? There's an interesting soup thread in chat at the moment called a month of soups.

LoveAndHate Tue 27-Oct-15 00:53:54

So THAT'S why my dh eats only one meal a day!

TheFuzz Tue 27-Oct-15 06:52:22

It's pretty strong stuff and it stops me eating. I only take it for pain flare ups and am usually in bed with it. 50 to 100mg.

Be aware it can send you a bit loopy if you are on 4 doses a day. I restrict mine to bad pain only. Just put up with pain otherwise.

verystressedmum Tue 27-Oct-15 07:28:11

I started tramadol a week ago and I found I this too. I just don't feel hungry. I do eat but definitely not as much as before. Which isn't a bad thing as I nee to lose weight.

SeasonalVag Tue 27-Oct-15 07:32:05

I'm on it for two slipped discs... I was prescribed morphine too but never took it cos I was scared if it.

I don't really mind, I'm a size 12 so not a dainty little thing but I just can't eat it's terrible. Yesterday for example, I had a piece of peppered mackerel. That was it.

MountainDweller Tue 27-Oct-15 17:37:06

You could ask for a slow release version if you are bothered by it - I found 150mg slow release twice a day was better than the normal stuff with fewer side effects. Do you feel nauseous or just not hungry? Could you face a smoothie or a milkshake? I do sympathise - I was on morphine patches for a month or two and couldn't face eating much. I take a synthetic opiate now and there are fewer side effects, so could be worth exploring other options if it turns out to be a longer term thing.

Bubblesinthesummer Tue 27-Oct-15 17:41:33

I have been on maximum tramadol for 4 years now.

My appetite comes and goes, although to be fair it is often linked to my pain.

LineyReborn Tue 27-Oct-15 17:44:18

I was on tramadol for a prolapse disc. I could only manage soup.

FurryDogMother Tue 27-Oct-15 17:58:09

Thanks for posting about this - I'm taking 100 mg of Tramadol a night at the moment, but hadn't linked it to my reduced appetite. Now it all makes sense! I'm sorry you're struggling with it, OP, but for me, a reduction in pain AND appetite is a wondrous thing! I am (sadly) far from underweight.

MatildaTheCat Tue 27-Oct-15 20:04:48

I found this side effect passed sadly.

Just a reminder to all those on Tramadol that it is much more effective if taken with paracetamol. Not sure why they haven't come up with a combined capsule.

PurpleHairAndPearls Tue 27-Oct-15 20:14:34

While you're all here (sorry op smile) can I ask if tramadol gives anyone else weird dreams? I actually had to stop taking it at night as I had incredibly lucid, disturbing dreams. I narrowed it down and it was definitely the tramadol having this effect.

LineyReborn Tue 27-Oct-15 20:29:48

Yes, I had very strange dreams. I found tramadol a very effective painkiller, but there were side effects.

MatildaTheCat Tue 27-Oct-15 21:48:47

Weird dreams if I could actually sleep. I don't take it after 6pm. For nights I take cocodamol which has less strange side effects.

The faints were the worst. Thankfully I seem to be immune to this one now.

Bubblesinthesummer Tue 27-Oct-15 22:27:38

Yes they do. Although I take a mixture of so many tablets a day it could be any of them hmm

I actually can't take control cocodamol though

Sueoc35 Sun 07-Jun-20 20:37:52

Did it work for the pain?

Sueoc35 Sun 07-Jun-20 20:38:51

Really?! For nerve pain?

Sueoc35 Sun 07-Jun-20 20:40:13

is this for nerve pain?

480Widdio Mon 08-Jun-20 00:49:06

Tramadol is highly addictive.It should never be taken for longer than 5 days.

It is very difficult to come off,the withdrawals are horrendous.

I work with drug addicts and it is one of the worst drugs.

480Widdio Mon 08-Jun-20 00:49:52

PS taking it with Paracetamol..........madness.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in