Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why would dmil have a leaflet for ovarian cancer in her bedroom?

(6 Posts)
Bjornstar Sun 25-Oct-15 19:28:01

DSIL told me today that she spotted this leaflet in her dm's bedroom. She is quite a private woman and has a doctor appointment tomorrow.

This does not sound good does it?

Why else would she have the leaflet?

PeterParkerSays Sun 25-Oct-15 19:34:06

Try not to get over concerned. She could have gone for an appointment about a dodgy mole / repeat prescription with the practice nurse and picked up a leaflet in the waiting room as Beryl from that coffee morning mentioned that she'd been diagnosed, and the meeting with the nurse has been referred on as an appointment with her GP.

What you have in your OP isn't anywhere near enough for you and your SIL to be so worried about this, it's adding 2 + 2 together and getting 9!

Bjornstar Sun 25-Oct-15 19:36:43

True that it could be anything - thanks for responding. She does have pretty unpredictable bowels, has to go immediately if she walks anywhere. It has always been like this and I doubt she has ever reported it before due to embarrassment.

I hope she will be ok, we all love her dearly.

TopazRocks Sun 25-Oct-15 19:43:18

It could mean anything.

Some people jsut like picking up interesting leaflets. Maybe she was talking to a friend and the subject came up and she wanted to know more?

Maybe she has a few symptoms and is wondering (and doing the right thing by going to GP)?

Maybe a doctor has suggested she has some symptoms and given her the leaflet?

None of that means she ahs the disease. Of course people can get god awful diseases but it's too soon for you to worry. And I'd say you should b careful that she never finds out you've been discussing the leaflet. If she's 'private' like you say she could feel quite upset you've or your SIL have seen leaflet. Presumably she's put it in the bedroom for a reason. Rather than the mantle piece I mean!

Bjornstar Sun 25-Oct-15 19:55:29

Yes I won't say anything about I know of the leaflet. You are right it could be a friend with a diagnosis and she is reading up about.

TopazRocks Sun 25-Oct-15 20:13:51

Even a friend of a friend.

a further point - if she's had the bowel symptoms you describe for years, it's likely not to be sinister as things would have developed sooner.

I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now