Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding from my bottom

(40 Posts)
NickNacks Fri 23-Oct-15 22:33:54

Ok I admit I considered name changing but there's no reason why this should be embarrassing.

For the past 2 weeks or so I have bleed from my bottom after having a poo. It's not blood in the poo but more when I wipe, and it's quite a lot. I've had a feel and fairly sure it's not piles but any other suggestions? Tonight it has been stinging a bit and feels a little itchy. Dh says 'go to the doctor' but he says that about everything!!

Any thoughts? Cream suggestions? I'm thinking sudocrem for now.

RNBrie Fri 23-Oct-15 22:36:41

Sounds like piles, but probably internal where you can't feel them. Possibly anal fissures... My dd had that but the itching definitely makes me think piles.

Try some anusol which might help whilst you wait for your GP appt.

indyandlara Fri 23-Oct-15 22:37:05

Go to the doctor. As soon as you can. Chances are it will be internal piles or a tear especially as the blood doesn't seem to be in the poo but don't chance it.

My mum died of bowel cancer. It's only poo. Go to the GP, they've seen it all.

SilverBirchWithout Fri 23-Oct-15 22:39:23

Go to your GP, as DH suggests. It is either piles, an anal fissure or potentially something more sinister if blood in your poo.

PurpleDaisies Fri 23-Oct-15 22:39:56

Your dh is right. You need to see the GP.

In all likelihood you've got something non worrying like piles you couldn't see or an anal fissure but if it is something more serious catching it early makes a massive difference. Get to your GP as soon as you can.

icklekid Fri 23-Oct-15 22:41:24

I had bleeding from anal fissure after giving birth- was VERY painful and should have gone to the Dr sooner as pain and bleeding stopped very soon after!

NickNacks Fri 23-Oct-15 22:42:30

What's an internal pile or an anal fissure? I've not heard of either of these things.

PurpleDaisies Fri 23-Oct-15 22:52:13

You can get piles (haemorrhoids) further up your back passage than you can feel with your finger, and an anal fissure is basically a tear that bleeds. I've attached a link (and I'm wondering what adverts I will now get from googling "anal fissure" to find a good one!).

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anal-fissure/Pages/Introduction.aspx

NickNacks Sat 24-Oct-15 10:36:47

Thanks for the link. I'm leaning towards it being a fissure. I have no pain whatsoever and no bleeding in between toilet trips. I really would prefer not to go to the doctors as it's very difficult for me to get time off work.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 24-Oct-15 10:41:46

You still need to go to doctor, don't rely on advice on the internet ( except this advice wink) it is probably nothing serious, but you must get a medical professional to make that call.

PurpleDaisies Sat 24-Oct-15 10:47:05

All the posters are saying it is most likely to be piles or anal fissure. No-one is saying don't go to the GP.

Op there are some things to manage at home and some where you really should go to the doctor. This is the latter-the consequences of waiting if it does turn out to be something worse than piles or an anal fissure are awful. It isn't worth taking a risk.

Monkeyinshoes Sat 24-Oct-15 10:57:06

Go to the doc and they can a) check it's nothing more sinister and b) give you rectogesic and stool softeners which'll help with the pain and healing.

NickNacks Sat 24-Oct-15 20:07:40

What exactly will the GP do? Actually look in my bum? shock

Duggee Sat 24-Oct-15 20:11:35

Yep! They have a glass thing they out up there. Only unpleasant for a few seconds and then they can give you a proper idea of what's going on. They've seen it all before so won't be phased.

FinestGrundyTurkey Sat 24-Oct-15 20:18:30

Fwiw, instead of sudocrem you could stick a bit of germolene (or germoloids? Do they still make that? Or some other haemorrhoid stuff) in there for a few days to see if it makes any difference. I've had the itchiness recently, though no blood admittedly, & germolene sorted it out.

A few more days wouldn't make a significant difference long term but might avoid an unnecessary botty probe (I'm very bum-averse myself grin)

NickNacks Sat 24-Oct-15 20:45:35

GP might not be phased but I will shock I'm not even comfortable with vaginal internals let alone anal!!

1Q84 Sat 24-Oct-15 21:02:28

You have to go to the Dr it might be a fissure but with the same symptoms my aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer. You have to insist on an internal.

FinestGrundyTurkey Sat 24-Oct-15 21:08:15

Could you request a bowel cancer screening kit? They're sent out automatically to 60+ - I don't know if younger people can get them. Ask your HC.

You just have to provide tiny smears of poo from 3 separate BMs & then post it off. They'd recall you if there was a problem

FinestGrundyTurkey Sat 24-Oct-15 21:10:20

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-colon-rectum-or-bowel/Pages/Screeningforbowelcancer.aspx

AutumnshadesofGold Sat 24-Oct-15 21:20:07

It's only a bottom - we ALL have them! And sorry to be blunt, but IF it's more serious than a fissure or internal piles then you'll have a lot more more to worry about!
Please go to the GP, it will honestly not be as bad as you expect. GPs examine bottoms every day smile

PurpleDaisies Sat 24-Oct-15 21:30:08

Op please see your GP. Yes it isn't very nice having someone poking round your back end but rectal bleeding is the equivalent of finding a lump in your breast. The chances are it is nothing serious but both breast and bowel cancers spread early so it really does make a difference whether you find it early or not.

Do you want to be worrying for ages about whether all is alright or not? I'm not one for advising people go to the GP to get every little thing checked out but this is really important. Ask any GP whether they think their patient with rectal bleeding as you've described should come in or wait and see what happens-every one will say come in and have it checked.

PurpleDaisies Sat 24-Oct-15 21:41:18

finest the way those bowel cancer screening kits work is by looking for hidden blood in the poo (which can be due to bowel cancer). The op will test positive because she can see the blood already. It's a nice idea but it wouldn't really help here.

FinestGrundyTurkey Sat 24-Oct-15 22:37:25

Well, yes, that's true, Purple

but I was thinking they're actually searching for a particular kind of (probably hidden) blood & OP's clearly visible kind might not be significant.

I know certain things always need to be investigated, but as I said I'm not keen either on having my arse investigated, so I was looking for possible alternatives <wimp>

PurpleDaisies Sat 24-Oct-15 23:09:48

I'm definitely with you on not loving the idea of people poking round where they're not welcome finest smile

The screening test only looks for the presence of any sort of blood in the stool. Faecal occult blood is just the medical term for hidden blood in poo. Tumours high in the colon bleed but by the time the poo comes out the blood has been broken down so you can't see any more. Tumours closer to the rectum also bleed but the blood doesn't have time to be broken down so you can see it on the poo. The NHS doesn't need to screen for this visible blood-it is eash to see and the advice is to get it checked out. The idea of the screening programme is to pick up those people who have blood leaking into their colon that won't notice so they can be investigated before anything nasty has spread. I hope that makes sense.

NickNacks Sun 25-Oct-15 10:13:25

Wouldn't it bleed all the time though it is were a tumour?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now