Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear fear

(5 Posts)
Eeyore777 Fri 23-Oct-15 18:18:09

Hi I hope you can help put my mind at rest.

I am 29 and have so far put off smear tests- I know- don't shout at me!

I know I need to bite the bullet but am worried for some pretty embarrassing reasons I can't discuss with anyone.
Firstly i have really not had a lot of sex and secondly my OH is pretty small down there so I'm worried I might be too small for the thing to fit in me. Is that crazy? Will the nurse know that I've got to this ripe old age and not had much sex?! Will it hurt/bleed/ cause extra embarrassment!!

Arrghhh hope someone out there can help because I really can't discuss this with anyone confused

Thanks so much in advance xxxxx

greenhill Fri 23-Oct-15 18:42:32

The speculum is opened when it is inside you and a tiny brush is used to gather the cells for the slide.

It shouldn't hurt or bleed, unless you are particularly sensitive. The nurse doing the test is a health care professional and will put you at ease.

Don't feel embarrassed it is their job, which they have done hundreds of times. They will be too busy looking at your cervix to think of any of the things that have crossed your mind.

A regular smear test is just another way of looking after yourself, such as a going to the hairdressers or having a dental appointment.

When you phone your surgery to book the appointment, they will advise you at which point in your cycle to arrange it for.

goodasitgets Fri 23-Oct-15 23:49:09

You can ask for a small speculum, I always do (ask before they start)

ConfusedInBath Sat 24-Oct-15 19:50:20

Talk to the nurse, explain that you're nervous and scared of it hurting.

She will be lovely and you will be fine.

GL.

greenhill Tue 27-Oct-15 18:25:03

Have you managed to arrange your appointment yet eeyore? If you were able to do so, I'm probably available for a hand hold before you go, if necessary.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now