Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have I really got hasimotos?

(2 Posts)
Reallytired3 Wed 21-Oct-15 12:41:48

I originally went to see gp because I have a goitre (and lots of other symptoms) and eventually had a thyroid antibody test done which came back over a 1000. Went to gp who put me on 100mcg levothyroxine and referred to endocrinologist.

After seeing endocrinologist who told me high antibodies was nothing to worry about and I need to reduce my dose to 50mcg. She did more bloods
TSH <0.02
FT4 26.9
TPO antibodies 985

I don't know what to do as I feel so much better than I have done for a few years. I don't want to take tablets if I don't need them but my symptoms are so much better.

The consultant made me feel like a fraud and I walked out feeling like an idiot. I need to some help for what to say to the gp when I go back for repeat prescription.

My confidence is at an all time low right now and would appreciate any help.

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 21-Oct-15 13:36:09

High antibodies are a diagnostic for Hashimoto's Disease aka auto-immune thyroiditis so yes, that's what you've got and eventually antibody attacks will destroy your thyroid completely.

It's a shame the consultant didn't think to check your FT3. had she done that, she would have known whether you are converting the T4, or whether it's just sitting there, but yes, you do need to take the meds and you also need to think seriously about trying to limit the antibody attacks by removing gluten from your diet.

Lots of info and support on the ThyroidUK forum at www.healthunlocked.com.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now