Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The Common Cold

(6 Posts)
TheLondonerSW4 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:33:22

My Auntie has just given me a remedy for the Common Cold ...

Half an Onion soaked in sugar overnight & you drink the juice in the morning .... Around a teaspoon full.

Is she mugging me off & I will walk into the office with death breathe just after I've knocked out the childminder?! confused

EdithWeston Tue 20-Oct-15 20:37:09

I've heard of onions as a folk remedy before.

I think it comes from the chemical which causes your eyes to water also having a clearing effect on snot.

It won't harm you, but no idea what this preparation will do to your breath. IIRC, the chemical is water soluble, so you will need everything it exudes.

TheLondonerSW4 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:50:09

What's IIRDC

TheLondonerSW4 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:50:37

IIRC I mean !?! That's he fog through my man cold envy

EdithWeston Tue 20-Oct-15 20:55:12

If I Recall Correctly

I'm pretty sure I'm right about it being water soluble, but not 100% (and there are experts here on just about everything, so don't want to look a twat more often than strictly necessary)

My preferred folk remedy, BTW, is whiskey (Jamesons, usually)

EmmaWoodlouse Wed 21-Oct-15 21:20:06

My dad told me that my granny used to make this remedy during the war, they used it as a cough medicine.

I've since heard that onions are thought to have antiviral properties so there might be something in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now