Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What does it feel like to have low iron levels?

(9 Posts)
LeChien Tue 20-Oct-15 12:06:05

If I write down these symptoms, could someone let me know if they tie in with low iron levels?

I'm overweight, but have always been relatively fit, but more recently I have very little energy.
When I do simple things like take washing upstairs, it feels like I'm doing a workout - burning muscles, raised heart rate, breathlessness - I have asthma, and I am a bit more wheezy at the moment, but this settles down as long as I sit down and do nothing.
Even reaching up to put glasses away in a cupboard, my arms have that lifting weights burn feeling.

Do these sound familiar?

VocationalGoat Tue 20-Oct-15 12:11:09

yes they do sound familiar. Low iron is something I fight often. I am an underweight person with very low blood pressure, so a low energy, often tired person by nature because of these two factors. I slip in and out of anaemia.
When I climb the stairs, my legs feel very heavy and I feel exhausted when I get to the top. I feel dizzy, light-headed, breathless and I often need to sit down or stretch out and just get my strength back. I am never surprised to find that my blood work comes back abnormal. I then take ferrous sulfate and feel much better. Go see your GP and get him/her to book you in for a blood test. In combination, I take B-12 when I feel 'lower' than usual.

murphys Tue 20-Oct-15 12:18:34

Like Vocational, I also have low blood pressure and that is how I feel when my bp is low.

I don't usually suffer with low iron (afaik) but I do take a vitamin each day which has vitamin B in it).

Some days I cannot even dry my hair with the hairdryer as it feels like I cannot hold my arms up at that height any longer.

I have been told to carry around a sachet of salt and when I feel faint or quite bad if I am out and about, to eat the salt.

I think you should just get it checked out though.

ChipInTheSugar Tue 20-Oct-15 12:20:31

Ask for your ferratin (stored iron) levels to be checked too.

LeChien Tue 20-Oct-15 12:23:18

Thank you.
I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago that showed up low levels, I'm having a second one as a comparison later this week, when they're also checking for coeliac (although I don't have any tummy troubles).

Oldmum55 Tue 20-Oct-15 12:25:24

Yes I felt like that when I was pregnant as foolishly didn't want to take my iron tablets. If you also have low blood pressure than it's not surprising you feel like you do. Luckily in my case I never had low BP as well.

clearsommespace Tue 20-Oct-15 12:25:37

Personally I didn't feel like what you describe. I felt weary and sleepy but didn't feel like everyday actions were a work out.
But it doesn't sound normal so yes, get it checked.

LeChien Tue 20-Oct-15 12:42:10

I've never had low blood pressure before, but it hasn't been checked recently.
Being overweight, I always assumed I would have high blood pressure.
I'll ask the nurse to check it when I go.

I'm reasonably slim and have had problems with iron deficiency anaemia and low blood pressure. It feels as you and others have described - stairs are an absolute killer, and I often feel as if I've been running a marathon when all I've done is walked for a little while. I also have been told to carry salt around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now