Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adenomyosis

(7 Posts)
KittyandTeal Mon 19-Oct-15 14:42:18

Does anyone have experience of this?

I've had an ultrasound that found a mass (she thought it was a fibroid) and my uterine muscle tissue looks irregular. The doc seems to think adenomyosis is the only thing that would explain the results and my symptoms. I've got a gyne appointment in a couple of weeks.

We were ttc number 3 but from what the gp says and I've read online it sounds like I will probably suffer early MC (the mention of late losses and placental abrupt ion is pretty scary too) We lost dd2 at 22 weeks in Jan and I don't think I can face another loss so we've put a stop to ttc for now.

Can anyone with experience give me an idea of treatments or what else I can expect?

KittyandTeal Mon 19-Oct-15 16:11:18

Anyone?

pilates Mon 19-Oct-15 17:04:25

Yes I had this. The symptoms were extremely heavy and painful menstrual bleeding. I was told the only way to solve the problem was to have a hysterectomy, which I did. They did a biopsy after the hysterectomy and confirmed it was adenomyosis.

KittyandTeal Mon 19-Oct-15 17:06:54

See I seem to have all the other symptoms except long, heavy periods. I mean they're heavy for me, compared to the rest of my periods since I started and pretty painful (almost had to pull over last period as it felt like early labour pains)

I'm 33 so I'm doubting they'll let me have a hysterectomy. I'm guessing another DC is off the cards?

pilates Mon 19-Oct-15 17:16:20

I was older than you (42) had two children and didn't want any more. I was anaemic and had a poor quality of life because of this. So it was a no brainer for me. I haven't looked back.

AuntieStella Mon 19-Oct-15 17:28:38

There isn't much than can be done about adenomyosis, AFAIK.

Usually, it's about managing the symptoms (heavy painful periods with clots being the classic pattern), but the other options are hysterectomy or ablation (both incompatible with future pregnancies) or an operation to reduce blood flow to the uterus (which probably also means you must not conceive).

If you stop short of surgical options, you're then looking at either pain relief meds and/or hormone treatments (those which suppress or reduce menstruation) as symptomatic relief.

But, you need a proper gynae examination. Adenomyosis can vary in severity, and at the moment that's unknown for you. All you can do really is ask then about your chances of starting and maintaining another pregnancy flowers

KittyandTeal Mon 19-Oct-15 18:06:56

Thank you both, that has helped a bit.

From what I can tell the hormonal options seem to be contraceptive hormones (which are fine).

At the moment I would imagine that I have a minor case. My painful periods can be managed with heavy duty feminax. It's the constant, low level period type cramps all cycle that get to me. That and the spotting seem to be the 'problem' as far as the doctor is concerned. My luteal phase is becoming shorter which is what originally took me to the gp. I have noticed over the past 3 cycles my symptoms have got obviously worse. This month was the first month with big clots (grim) which I had assumed was a very early MC but seems possibly not.

I guess we're in the 'lucky' situation that we're not desperate for another child but it would be nice. If it couldn't happen I wouldn't be heartbroken I don't think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now