Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help needed re DD's braces please.

(5 Posts)
Olivo Sun 18-Oct-15 10:14:14

Do all removable braces have a plastic thing that covers the palate? The one the orthodontist showed us did not, it has plastic on 3 sides (front and both sides) but not. A full palate. However, DD has been googling and they all show the full plastic palate. The bottom one he showed us was just a wire. Has he shown us an incomplete brace? dd is now really anxious.sad

Mrsmorton Sun 18-Oct-15 15:51:10

It depends what it's for... a bit strange to be anxious really? When will the appliance be fitted? How old is DD? What is wrong with her teeth? If you google the wrong thing then you won't see the right picture...

More info please.

Olivo Sun 18-Oct-15 20:21:19

She is 9. Appliance to be fitted in the next couple of weeks, all prep done, just waiting for it to arrive. She is having the palate widened a bit, top and bottom, then another appliance to pull bottom jaw forward. She is anxious because she likes to know exactly what's Happening , but has googled removable braces and seen different things. I am trying to reassure her.

Mrsmorton Sun 18-Oct-15 20:33:59

There are loads of different appliances, if she's worried you could call the orthodontist to ask. I'm a general dentist so know only a little about ortho outside of how to treat emergencies.

Olivo Sun 18-Oct-15 20:42:21

Thanks mrsm. They are going to call me when they arrive, so I will ask them then. I hope they're not too different from what he showed us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now