Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please tell me this is not appendicitis

(8 Posts)
earthyambitions Sat 17-Oct-15 07:56:41

The rational side of me says it isn't but I have terrible health anxiety and am worrying about this. Symptoms are; started 3 days ago with very sore throat and slightly swollen tonsils - I get tonsillitis a lot, then yesterday lunchtime trapped wind type pain in my right side opposite my belly button. At its worst it was painful to walk. This morning the pain is still there, possibly slightly better. It is only very mildly uncomfortable when walking, a sort of pulling sensation where the pain is and only really hurts when I press there. The pain hasn't moved at any point.

I am right in thinking if this was appendicitis I would be feeling very unwell by now aren't I and that it would be much more painful. I am right in thinking this is more likely to be swollen glands relating to the probable throat infection aren't i?

I have a banging headache but daren't take paracetamol incase it as appendicitis and I mask the pain. The reason I am so anxious about it is because abdominal surgery for me carries a lot of risk, the last time nearly killed me ??.

BestIsWest Sat 17-Oct-15 08:24:13

I would ring NHS direct. When DD had it she was asked to hop ( she couldn't). Also if you press and the pain is worse when you take your hand away, that can be a sign of appendicitis.

earthyambitions Sat 17-Oct-15 08:55:19

It does hurt when I take my hand away but not excrutiating. I can hop with no problem. I'll ring Drs and see what they think. They do emergency appointments this morning. My right leg is aching now too but don't know if that is just paranoia!

INeedSomeHelp Sat 17-Oct-15 09:00:33

Put your thumb at your belly button and stretch your little finger out towards your right hip bone. Now press down with your middle finger and that's roughly where your appendix is. If it is appendicitis it should hurt more when you lift your finger away rather than when you press down. And I could feel a little jump inside when the doctor did it to me.
When I had appendicitis I was very sick and in a lot of pain so it doesn't sound like that. But I appreciate it will be different for everyone.

IamSantaClaus Sat 17-Oct-15 09:04:10

I would definitely get it checked out . When I had appendicitis I wasn't even going to go to the doctor because I didn't think it was sore enough . One of my friends who was a doctor convinced me and I'm so glad i did . At least you'd put your mind at ease getting it checked out

earthyambitions Sat 17-Oct-15 09:06:03

Drs app made for 10. Want to cry now ??

IamSantaClaus Sat 17-Oct-15 09:12:42

Oh try not to worry . I certainly didn't mean to worry you , it could be nothing . I've always found that the things I'm most worried about never happen .Always best to get these things checked though brewthanks

earthyambitions Sat 17-Oct-15 10:18:56

Thank you, just got back from Drs. He said the pain is too high for appendicitis and i have not other symptoms. He thinks it is swollen glands in my stomach linked to the sore throat I have. Big relief!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now