Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A good coil fitting story!

(5 Posts)
Nightowlagain Mon 12-Oct-15 18:39:40

I was motivated to post this after having a mirena fitted today as I'd read so many negative stories about the process that I dosed myself up to the eyeballs with codeine and ibuprofen and was really scared!

So I just want to tell you that I had it done and it was a bit uncomfortable and slightly crampy but really not a big deal. I know it won't be the same for everyone but the more positive tales out there the better! Obviously I'm not sure how it will go in the long term hormone-wise etc, and with my periods and stuff but this is just about the actual fitting. When I was looking into it online I read a couple of articles that really freaked me out so I thought I'd share in case I could help anyone else who is researching it and is worried.

mrspremise Mon 12-Oct-15 21:08:47

I'm on my second Mirena coil and I haven't had a moment's bother from either of them. No periods for 8 years (hooray!) and only a little twinge when the first one was removed. That 'discomfort' was nothing compared to giving birth to a 9lb7oz baby, though!

Nightowlagain Tue 13-Oct-15 09:21:38

Yes, I'm hoping for no periods as well mrspremise! I have light ones now so hopefully they'll stop altogether. I'm a little concerned about the hormonal aspect as I've not reacted well to the pill in the past, but it's worth a shot before we go the vasectomy route. I had sore boobs and a bad headache last night but I just ovulated so that might be that. I might keep a diary of symptoms to monitor it for the first while and see how it goes.

ItIsHowItIsx Tue 13-Oct-15 12:05:32

I didn't find having it fitted too bad either. Extremely heavy periods (the reason for having it) have stopped completely. Before having it fitted I had cyclic extreme breast pain which although seemed to be worse after having it fitted now seems to have completely disappeared. I think if you do a diary you are going to be looking for symptoms which aren't actually there.

gingerboy1912 Wed 21-Oct-15 19:23:41

On my second mirena coil and it's been great, fitting was uncomfortable but nothing to worry about, bit of cramping for about 24 hours after and then that's it no heavy periods no backache no migraine, can't recommend it enough,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now