Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Nose bleed - anxious mother

(7 Posts)
Pook Thu 13-May-04 16:16:10

Following on from the recent anxious mother thread! My 10 month old dd has a cold with runny nose and also a key fixation (may be relevant). I've noticed that in her snot are streaks of red blood. Not gushing bust definitely blood. It seems to only be one nostril, but it hasn't eased off over the last couple of hours.
I wonder whether it may just be a scratch in her nose - she was pplaying with mil's keys just before it started. But then again....
I know I'm probably being over-anxious but...any advice?????

Pook Thu 13-May-04 16:28:46

Anyone???

Jimjams Thu 13-May-04 16:37:31

I wouldn't worry. I have a tendency to nosebleeds- always have done (had my nose cauterised) - still get nosebleeds with a cold. DS1 does as well.

If she has scratched her nose with the keys (wouldn't they be too big?) I don't think she'll do much damage.....

Pook Thu 13-May-04 16:40:43

Thanks JimJams
I suppose I'm also fairly prone to nose bleeds if I think about it. It's just that she's had loads of colds and this is the first time she's had a nose bleed.
Re: the keys. They were car keys which are kind of pointy. And she's not the most coordinated of girls!!

shrub Thu 13-May-04 16:44:30

i had my nose cauterised too - 5 times. have you tried putting vasaline up the nose i remember reading this is suppose to dry up the membranes? if you don't use petroleum products i think green people do a version. i had them throughout my whole childhood. a doctor once asked if my parents smoked - both of whom are heavy smokers and he told me that was the cause. might be true in my case as they stopped when i went to uni. though i doubt this is conclusive.

Pook Thu 13-May-04 16:55:23

That's interesting about smoking being related. DD never in a smoky environment, although I was as both parents smoked like chimneys!

Jimjams Thu 13-May-04 19:07:51

not smoky here either (or in my house when I was a kid). Nursery used vaseline up the nose when ds1 was spraying blood everywhere once- it worked, and I've used it since. Not very nice though so I only use it for really heavy bleeds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: