Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast pain (?)

(20 Posts)
Shakey15000 Sun 11-Oct-15 20:01:02

Can anyone help with this? I am planning to make a GP appointment.

You know breast pain being something that needs checking out ref breast cancer? Is it any type of breast pain? Sharp, stabby, what?

Background- In my right breast, there is a "hardness". Not a defined lump, just an area that is noticeably harder than my left, at the top, above the nipple area. I went to GP about 6 yrs ago about it, had a mammogram, they said it was just thicker breast tissue. Now, for the last few months I've had intermittent pain in that breast. Not continuous, it comes and goes and is normally a sharp pain. It's not localised to the hard area and it's also not in any one place.

No other breast changes as far as I can see (unless you count the growth of a stupidly long hair confused smile )

Just wondered if anyone had had similar regarding the breast pain. Thanks

TheExMotherInLaw Sun 11-Oct-15 20:08:36

Definitely go see GP asap.
But, to reassure you, we have had all sorts of breast related stuff in our family - dsis had bc - no pain, surgery, 15 years clear. I had a tumour - no pain - NOT bc - was removed. I have since had pains - still not BC - advised by consultant to take evening primrose or star oil - much improved - all clear.
Aunt found a painful lump it was bc - surgery - 13 years clear.
Be reassured, but do go check!

Shakey15000 Sun 11-Oct-15 20:34:24

Thanks for replying TheEx, that is reassuring smile And I'm glad you're in good health thanks

I meant to put also, that when the pain is there, it's not there because I've brushed past something or knocked it etc

TheExMotherInLaw Mon 12-Oct-15 20:41:23

Well, have you made the appointment yet? (nag nag)

goawayalready Mon 12-Oct-15 20:46:22

add to the nagging

plus a reassuring true story i had breast pain massively painful thought it was on fire turns out my bra needed changing i have one breast slightly larger than the other (have done for years) and it causes problems especially when the bras get old and a little careworn

i still got it checked though

Shakey15000 Mon 12-Oct-15 21:32:50

TheEx Not yet blush I have been ridiculously busy today. I know, I know, it's no excuse!! Coincidentally my (half) sister suffers repeatedly with cysts in her breasts and has text me today saying she's off to the docs again. No kidding she must have been 8 or so times to have them drained over the last 18months. And every time she has to go through her GP. I know it's the procedure but it would be so much easier if she could bypass the 2 week referral, pitch up and have them drained.

Thanks also goaway I have many care worn bras!

wlv12 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:52:50

Hey,
I'm going through similar - have had a tender breast for a few months now, don't normally get tender breasts before periods etc. Now there's a thickening or a hardness above that nipple. I went to see the gp yesterday who said he does think it's anything sinister but referred me to the breast clinic. They rang me today with an appt for Monday morning. Have you been to see your gp today?

Shakey15000 Tue 13-Oct-15 19:32:15

No blush I am definitely making an appointment tomorrow! Will you let me know how you get on? Hope you don't worry too much impossible I know

TheExMotherInLaw Thu 15-Oct-15 21:58:28

... taps fingers, looks over -0^0-
... appointment made yet?
hope so!

TheExMotherInLaw Fri 16-Oct-15 20:27:04

gentle reminder

Shakey15000 Tue 20-Oct-15 09:08:54

Thanks all. Appointment made for 2nd Nov <wibble>
I'm sure it's nowt.

Shakey15000 Thu 22-Oct-15 11:43:56

wlv12 How did you get on? Hope all is well thanks

It really does feel thick/hard today and it's in the run up to my period which I know makes both my breasts tender anyway. It's almost like it's extra hard? No noticeable pain atm so that's good.

Shakey15000 Mon 02-Nov-15 20:18:21

Had the appointment today and been referred to breast clinic as "non urgent". She did say the right breast looked bigger than the left (which I've never noticed tbh). So, I'm to wait for a letter now.

Shakey15000 Wed 18-Nov-15 13:23:46

Had mammogram today, am now to wait for a letter to see the outpatient breast team. Should be in about a week, they said. Any news wlv12?

Shakey15000 Thu 26-Nov-15 09:31:54

Huh. After mammogram they said if I hadn't had an appointment through for the breast team within 7days, to ring. I did, this morning to be told "oh yes, a letter went out on 23nov asking you to make an urgent appointment". Well, I haven't had it? "no problem we can book you in now, first appointment available is 4th January..." Ermm WTF?? I mean, I've booked it, but 6weeks away?? Is this right?? <wibble>

Shakey15000 Thu 26-Nov-15 18:05:07

Anyone?

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 26-Nov-15 18:09:12

Sounds a bit rubbish but at least it's an appointment!

Shakey15000 Thu 26-Nov-15 18:37:42

I think I'll ring my GP tomorrow. Grateful that there is an appointment yes. It's just the worry in that 6wks (over Xmas and all). Sigh, we just had SUCH a shit couple of years, this is the last thing we need.

Shakey15000 Sun 03-Jan-16 22:35:53

Well the consultant said that whilst the mammogram looked "ok" he agreed there was thickening so I'm having an ultrasound tomorrow.

Le1890 Sun 03-Jan-16 22:52:04

Good luck , thinking of you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now