Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Irregular periods and pain

(9 Posts)
Kakey1710 Tue 22-Sep-15 22:58:19

For the past year since having my third child I've been having very irregular periods. Sometimes two months between each and never really lasting long.

I have constant period cramps. Literally every day so I never know when it's coming. I've been having quite a heavy white discharge with no smell. Kept putting it down to my period being due and it has never been there case. I've waited this long because I thought it may have been my hormones getting back to normal after pregnancy but now I'm concerned. I'm not sexually active.

I don't know if this is something i should see a doctor about or if I'm being overly paranoid!

Kakey1710 Tue 22-Sep-15 22:58:55

Thanks!!

MrsHooolie Wed 23-Sep-15 00:08:04

Perhaps go to the Dr for a check up?
I used to have really irregular periods and they were bloody agony.
I now take oil of sage,a complex B vitamins supplement and the most important of all Starflower oil 1000mg a day and that one has been a life changer for me. I literally have no period pain at all!They are still really heavy but I can deal with that if I'm not in pain and throwing up.

RedNailPolish101 Wed 23-Sep-15 00:18:48

I suffer with painful periods it's so awful, regularly as clock work but am knocked out almost with pain for about 8 hours - im lucky it's a weekend it happens at times I'm non functional - I take mefenic acid (maybe a spelling mistake there) but it is a god send and takes the edge of it.

I would see a GP just to check yourself out

I will try starflower oil thank you MrsHoolie X

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 23-Sep-15 07:26:18

Kakey

I would seek medical advice from your GP.

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances; a condition called polycystic ovaries is a common culprit.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 23-Sep-15 07:29:28

RedNailPolish

What you are describing here could well be attributed to endometriosis. Any pain that is cyclical in nature and/or gets worse up to and including menses should be checked out further to see if endometriosis is actually the cause.

I would suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary if you do not already do so. You should not have to put up with this.

Mefanamic acid is like putting a plaster on a wound; you need to properly establish the cause of why this is happening. Will your GP be willing to refer you to a gynaecologist?. Some GPs can be woeful when it comes to such problems and its a problem also outside their general remit.

RedNailPolish101 Wed 23-Sep-15 17:54:52

Thank you Attila, but I've been fully checked out smile from a young age I suffered (as did my mum, grandmother and all my aunts in the same way) so for me it's just a case of being very very unlucky! But yes I would agree visit to the GP would be very important otherwise.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 23-Sep-15 18:20:47

I suffered similarly from a young age and endometriosis can have a genetic female component to it although its causes are still not fully understood.

May I ask how you were checked out; I ask this simply because if you have only had internal ultrasound scans or blood tests these do not detect endo if it is there. Its usually diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

RedNailPolish101 Wed 23-Sep-15 20:02:41

It was a very long time ago, but I never had a laparoscopy... I have recently changed GP's have a lovely female doctor so maybe I will have a good chat with her and investigate this again to be on the safe side.

Thank you for taking the time to answer and OP for your original post as this may have helped me too - I hope that you also have benefited from the advise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now