Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrified it's breast cancer

(15 Posts)
Blondie87 Tue 22-Sep-15 19:56:38

Having a complete panic and need to to get it out....

Have a 20week old baby who I'm breastfeeding. A few weeks ago I noticed a lumpy bit/mass in one boob while in the shower which I can only really feel in the shower. Wasn't too worried but decided to get it checked by GP who examined it. She said it was probably breastfeeding related and said I had quite nodular breasts and could wait until breastfeeding was finished before I was referred or if I was going to worry she would refer me now. I asked to be referred now. Anyway was at the Drs today for something unrelated and saw on the screen 'suspected breast cancer'. Seeing that left me in a state. I saw the GP last Monday and have the appointment this Thursday. I wasn't worried at all really until I saw this. The speed of the appointment worried me, although she was prepared to wait until I had finished breastfeeding for a referral so maybe it isn't a major concern.
Does she think I have breast cancer or is this just what is said for a referral? The nurse today reassured me they put this for any referral but I think she was just trying to calm me down. It's so frightening, I have such a young child and I feel sick.

Northernlurker Tue 22-Sep-15 20:01:00

I work in a hospital, as a manager. Please believe me when I say that is what they now put for all breast lumps. It's how the clinics work. The fact that the GP was prepared to wait to refer you for however long it takes to stop breastfeeding is a sign that in their clinical judgement this is nothing to worry about.
It's right to get checked out but please, please do not fret about this.

Northernlurker Tue 22-Sep-15 20:03:58

Here is a site that tells you about what happens at a breast clinic. The pages are on the breast cancer care site but that's NOT because going to the clinic means you are likely to have cancer. It just means that they are the charity who host this information. It will tell you about the clinic so you know what to expect and it mentions the national guidelines which say everybody should be seen in 2 weeks.

This is something the NHS does really well btw, you will be in good hands.

Blondie87 Tue 22-Sep-15 20:05:00

Thank you northern. I appreciate you taking the time to post, that is reassuring.

Tiptops Tue 22-Sep-15 20:05:05

Oh poor you, this would really scare me too.

I agree with PP that this doesn't mean the GP suspects it is cancer at all. I think breast clinics have to see people within a certain period of time if a suspect lump is found, referring it as suspected cancer means the NHS has to see you promptly. Your GP was probably trying to get you through the system as quickly as possible, rather than her thinking it was something sinister.

Tiptops Tue 22-Sep-15 20:07:18

Cross posted with Northerns second post. The two week timescale of seeing women with breast lumps is what I was trying to explain in my post. I'm sure that's why your GP referred it as she did. Hope the appointment goes well flowers

Northernlurker Tue 22-Sep-15 20:07:41

Another post from me grin - you may not know OP but breastfeeding lowers your risk of ever getting breast cancer. Good for baby, good for you grin

Blondie87 Tue 22-Sep-15 20:08:00

Thank you as well for the link. It has calmed me down to have that info!

Blondie87 Tue 22-Sep-15 20:09:43

Thank you also tiptops. I am grateful to both of you taking the time to make me feel better. Husband is away with work so had plenty of time to dwell on it.

Northernlurker Tue 22-Sep-15 21:53:35

It's easy for things to get on top of you without another adult to de-escalate the situation. I think that having kids makes us feel very vulnerable too. You so desperately NEED to look after them that anything that seems to threaten that becomes scary very quickly.

Ilikesweetpeas Tue 22-Sep-15 21:59:46

I had a similar scare, GP assured me that my lump wasn't cancerous, then I was shocked to get an appointment at the breast cancer clinic. The consultant assured me that this was where they saw all breast lumps, just in case. I had quick and thorough investigations which showed there was no concern. I hope you have the same outcome - I'm sure they are just making sure you get the best care

Northernlurker Thu 24-Sep-15 18:47:07

How did it go?

Blondie87 Thu 24-Sep-15 20:24:23

Thank you for asking Northernlurker. I'm so unbelievably relieved to report that everything came back healthy and normal in line with what is expected with lactating breast tissue. The glands were just enlarged due to milk production in one particular place.
I had a physical examination and an ultrasound and have been discharged from the service. I am just so happy! Thank you very much for your words of wisdom, they really did helper me at ease.

Blondie87 Thu 24-Sep-15 20:25:05

*help put me

Northernlurker Fri 25-Sep-15 16:44:05

That's excellent news. Really pleased it went well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now