Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody been prescribed sleeping tablets?

(9 Posts)
itstheyearzero Wed 16-Sep-15 16:44:16

I went to the docs today as I am depressed and haven't been sleeping for months now. Doc prescribed me Zopiclone, 3.75mg. She said to take one or two. What's the best way to take them? Do I try and get to sleep normally and then take one if I'm struggling to drop off, or should I take one before bed anyway? I just think that because I know they are there, I will be thinking about them and that might keep me awake if you know what I mean? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

insanityscatching Wed 16-Sep-15 16:52:34

I'm an insomniac so have taken a week or two's course, when the lack of sleep is really bad, for years now. My tip would be to go to bed at the same time regularly. Get comfortable and take the tablet. I then read and within half an hour I'm asleep. If one tablet doesn't work take two the following night. Zopiclone doesn't keep you asleep though which is my problem but hopefully you just have problems dropping off. Have you been prescribed anti depressants as well as some of those aid sleep too so might be helpful?

Mintyy Wed 16-Sep-15 16:57:29

I was prescribed zopiclone yesterday too. It is the third time I've been prescribed sleeping tablets - I had temazepam before.

I fall asleep ok but wake up about 4 to 5 hours later, so I take half a tablet then and hope they send me back to sleep!

Definitely do take them every night to begin with, to get you back into the sleep habit.

itstheyearzero Wed 16-Sep-15 16:58:39

Thanks for your reply insanity. Yes I have been prescribed citolapram too. I took one this afternoon and I did feel drowsy an hour or so later so I plan to take those in the evening rather than in the daytime like today when I was trying to work!

I'll try what you said tonight smile

itstheyearzero Wed 16-Sep-15 17:02:15

4 to 5 hours sounds like heaven Mintyy! Been trying to survive on less than that recently. Ok I'll take one tonight and see how it goes x

MorrisZapp Wed 16-Sep-15 17:08:30

Everybody's different but I need to take these a good few hours before bed. Same as pp, they don't keep me asleep but they do get me off.

I was given 7mg tabs and initially I took a whole one but it knocked me out in a scary way and I lost two hours of memory! Of course this may suit you if you live alone.

Now I take half a tab, so same amount as you. I take them once a week or thereabouts.

For some reason, snacky food tastes even better on sleeping tablets, so make sure you don't have goodies in the house or its a recipe for late night bingeing smile

itstheyearzero Wed 16-Sep-15 17:13:58

Good advice Morris..thanks. I don't live alone, I'm still living with my STBXP and my DS, so perhaps one will be enough!

MorrisZapp Wed 16-Sep-15 20:54:01

Did I ever tell you about the mint imperial incident?

Was at my grans for an overnight. I took a temazepam to help me sleep as her beds are weird. Aaaanyway I was chatting away to my gran and eating her mint imperials.

I was nodding and agreeing like mad but all I could think was 'OH MY GOD MINT IMPERIALS ARE SO AMAZING. ALL I CARE ABOUT IS MINT IMPERIALS. I MUST NOW DEDICATE MY LIFE TO THE PROCUREMENT AND CONSUMPTION OF MINT IMPERIALS. NOD TO THE OLD LADY'.

Needless to say I've never eaten a mint imperial since, well maybe once in a Chinese restaurant. Drugs make you react very oddly at times smile

Flossieflower01 Sat 19-Sep-15 08:25:25

I take one 7.5mg zopliclone about twice per week as I sleep really really badly without them. Take it at bed time and sleep peacefully for ten hours! And I don't feel like a zombie in the morning unlike when I take the antihistamine type ones like nytol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now