Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy head

(5 Posts)
AnonymousBird Mon 14-Sep-15 09:22:29

DS has had an itchy head for about a week, I have checked it several times (he has nice short hair thankfully - unlike DD!) and there is absolutely no evidence of nits. There is no redness (other than just at the bottom of his hairline where he has clearly scratched a bit), and nothing that looks like dandruff, flaky skin, eczema, psoriasis and so on - a normal pale scalp from everything I can see. It is not in one specific spot, he is complaining of it being mostly down the back, round the sides and behind the ears (which is when the nits alarms rang - but I really can see nothing and it has been a full week).

Should I treat him tonight anyway, as a precaution, even if we can't see anything?

Anything else it might be? Will be encouraging really thorough hair washing and rinsing in case it's shampoo residue or something but not sure that would cause him to scratch.

TIA for any tips.

GudrunBrangwen Mon 14-Sep-15 09:42:41

Try again only with conditioner on his hair. There may be only one or two iyswim, and they are hard to find without a slippery product.

AnonymousBird Mon 14-Sep-15 12:39:01

Yes, I think you are right, the nitty gritty and conditioner is the next step.

Thanks.

Iggly Mon 14-Sep-15 12:40:01

Yes I didn't realise ds had nits until insaw the massive ones getting ready to leave. He was itching and I kept checking. Now I know what to look for, I can see why I didn't spot them at first.

AnonymousBird Mon 14-Sep-15 13:22:13

DD had them not long ago (months though, rather than weeks, so not related to current potential nit crisis!) and it took a few goes to get rid, so I had thought my nit radar/spotting ability was quite good, both for the eggs and the lice themselves.....

But he is in the shower tonight, supervised, nitty gritty at the ready for a thorough examination!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now