Talk

Advanced search

Lymph nodes swollen, but not ill - do I need to go to the Drs?

(16 Posts)
Loueytb3 Sun 06-Sep-15 20:37:13

i had a virus at the end of July/start of August which made all my lymph nodes swell up. They tested for glandular fever at the time but the result was negative and I had it when I was a teenager so I would have been unlikely to get it again. I got better shortly after they tested.

But nearly 6 weeks on, I still have prominent lymph nodes in my neck and groin. They feel like hard lumps, don't hurt to touch. I have no other symptoms.

Is there any point going to the Drs or is this just residual swelling from the virus?

OP’s posts: |
Borderterrierpuppy Sun 06-Sep-15 21:43:28

Yes op I would go and get these checked out x

Lizsmum Sun 06-Sep-15 21:51:41

Definitely go and get checked.

Loueytb3 Mon 07-Sep-15 10:40:46

Urgh. I was hoping someone was going to say not to bother. I have too much to do over the next two weeks bloody school meetings

Do I need to go urgently? I know (from googling) that lymphoma is a possbility but as I have no other symptoms?

bimbobaggins Tue 08-Sep-15 21:07:39

Yes I would get this checked. My friends dh has had swollen lymp nodes in neck since April and was trated with ab for infection.

I don't mean to alarm you but after biopsy scan, camera down throat he has been diagnosed with cancer.

maybebabybee Wed 09-Sep-15 16:20:19

I would get them checked but honestly they could really be nothing - sometimes after an infection your lymph nodes swell up and never go back to normal. I've had swollen nodes in my neck which have been that way for about 5 years - GP looked them over and they were fine.

Do they move around? It is more worrying if they are hard and don't move.

I would see the GP for peace of mind.

Loueytb3 Wed 09-Sep-15 23:00:33

I've booked a GP appointment for a couple of weeks time - earliest non-urgent appt I could get.

maybebabybee - yes, this is what my gut is telling me, that its just following the infection and is probably nothing. But I also know that its niggling at me. My grandfather died from a lymphoma (I never knew him, he died in the 1960s) so there is a family history.

Did you just have swollen glands in your neck or were/are they elsewhere as well? I have them all over. They are mobile though which is reassuring.

duckyneedsaclean Wed 09-Sep-15 23:03:02

I had this a few months ago, convinced myself I had cancer. I had them on my neck, sides and front, and on my face, just in front of my ears. The GP pretty much thought I was mental I think. They went away after another few weeks.

maybebabybee Wed 09-Sep-15 23:13:06

I just have them in my neck (I think!)

I could be wrong but I think if you have them in lots of places it's way more likely that they're just caused by an infection.

Alyosha Thu 10-Sep-15 09:22:42

As PP have said, it's concerning if they're hard & fixed, but most likely it's all fine.

I have several permanently swollen nodes in my neck which have been the cause of much HA & trips to the doctor...I have at least 4 permanently swollen.

Loueytb3 Thu 10-Sep-15 16:25:18

That's the problem - I'm sure the GP is going to think I'm a hypochondriac!! I'm starting to feel like one.

They are not fixed but some of them (particularly the ones in my groin) are quite hard.

Alyosha Fri 11-Sep-15 13:48:11

Don't worry - you're simply following NHS advice! They do need to be checked out, just trying to reassure you that on the balance of probabilities, you will probably be OK smile

peppajay Fri 11-Sep-15 21:47:50

I have just booked an appointment for monday as my left side of groin is swollen and has been for about a yr but ignored it but get a bit of a stabbing pain with it now and then now. I think it could be related to my prolapse. But gogole is scary and that is why I have decided to get it checked out!!! Good luck xx

Loueytb3 Wed 16-Sep-15 14:09:19

Peppajay - how did the Drs appt go?

peppajay Wed 16-Sep-15 17:45:37

Thanks for asking. I have a small hernia, So have been referred to the hospital to see a consultant and will prob need an op to repair it xx

aceoface Wed 25-Dec-19 15:08:09

I have swollen nodes too for months since I got dengue virus, how's yours now?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »