Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Listerine/Vicks for fungal nail infection?

(7 Posts)
LilacLavender Thu 27-Aug-15 14:54:33

Anyone know if this might be a fungal nail infection? (See pic)

If so, a quick google suggests that Vicks vapour rub or listerine may shift it... Anyone tried these?

LilacLavender Thu 27-Aug-15 14:54:43

Pic

Humphriescushion Thu 27-Aug-15 15:02:34

No pic or maybe it's just me grin. I used Vicks on my nail infection, after trying most other things and it improved it significantly but not completely. It took a long time and I put it on every morning and evening. I am hoping it will get rid of the last bit but it seems to be a stubborn bit!

EmNetta Thu 27-Aug-15 15:48:42

Yes, Listerine mouthwash seems to have cleared mine now, better than tea-tree oil and much better than prescription Lamasil.

LilacLavender Thu 27-Aug-15 16:06:18

How did you use it Emnetta? It's only affecting part of one toe so guessing I could dab it on with cotton wool?

EmNetta Thu 27-Aug-15 17:42:29

(Whisperssmile Well, I save old nail-polish bottles and the brushes, which when cleaned, make good containers for holding the Listerine and the brushes are best I've found for applying it. Suggest you edge brush in closest to infection, and after, pour a few drops from bottle on brush to hopefully keep it clean.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 28-Aug-15 10:02:50

Try neem oil from Neals Yard.

Not expensive and brilliant for rapid shifting of fungal nail infections, in my case, even one that the podiatrist said was beyond her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now