Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

catching breath in sleep

(8 Posts)
BuckyLastard Mon 24-Aug-15 12:14:27

Hi
Anybody with Hashimoto thyroiditis feel their throat closes when they lay down?.

Lately as I am falling asleep I get woken by needing to take a big breath, asthough I have stopped breathing confused obviously my breathing returns to normal once I am awake but it's really interrupting my sleep.

I think my hashimoto was caused or definitely started after a few bouts of tonsillitis in quick succession despite never having had tonsillitis as a child. I feel like my tonsils are rather large despite not having a sore throat any longer.

BuckyLastard Tue 25-Aug-15 19:59:28

Anyone?

TheReluctantCountess Tue 25-Aug-15 20:02:58

It could be sleep apnea. Are you overweight?

BuckyLastard Tue 25-Aug-15 20:24:00

Most probably, I've put on a bit since going Hypoactive.

RolyPolierThanThou Sat 29-Aug-15 06:44:13

Are your iron levels okay? Catch up breaths are a symptom of anaemia, too.

WhatTheJeffHasGoneOnHere Sat 29-Aug-15 09:54:09

How weird, I'm hypothyroid and do this too. Not overweight and my tonsils are not big! My ferritin is low though.

Titsywoo Sat 29-Aug-15 09:58:06

Im not hypothyroid but I get this when I am tired and stressed or anxious. It's not sleep apnea.

Titsywoo Sat 29-Aug-15 10:01:28

Actually just remembered the gp said to me it was likely to be reflux and acid when I lay down getting into my wind pipe/lungs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now