Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period Nightmare!

(2 Posts)
Reallywantgherkins Tue 18-Aug-15 14:09:27

Just to explain where I'm coming from, I had the mirena coil fitted in June, it was fitted incorrectly so had to be removed, whilst it was in I had little to no spotting. Three days after removal (3rd July) I had a heavy period, I was not due on but I wasn't surprised either, because of the hormones. I then went on the pill (micronor) whilst waiting for my IUD to be fitted. Around the 14th July I had another, heavy period, on the 21st July I had my IUD. There was some spotting but nothing to write home about, then on the 2nd August I had another period, this one lasted two weeks and was only heavy for about 4/5 days. I can feel another period starting today.
Here's my question, since the period on the 14th I've been drinking raspberry leaf tea throughout the day to lighten my periods and soothe the cramping, I've also been drinking nettle tea from the 2nd August because it helps with cramping.
I expected heavy periods on my IUD however, because of the mess with all the hormones, my body seems to have gone into period overdrive.
I'm a bit concerned that the raspberry leaf tea could actually be causing me to get periods, because I know it's advised for women to drink during the last few weeks of pregnancy.
Does anyone else have any experience of drinking these teas whilst not pregnant? I would love some advice, I'm having to go to the doctors to check for anaemia on Thursday as it is, idealy the raspberry leaf tea would be lightening my periods and "toning my uterus" whatever that means but I don't know if my body can take much more of this.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Aug-15 15:51:31

Has it ever been determined why your periods are so heavy?. If not I would be asking for a referral to a gynae for further evaluation. Fibroids (and endometriosis) can cause both pain and heavy bleeding to arise.

The Mirena and IUD is all very well and good but it does not address the underlying cause of the heavy bleeding. Such bleeding as well can cause you to become anaemic, frequent bleeds are not normal.

I would also refrain from drinking this particular type of tea till you can find a cause of this bleeding. Spotting between periods as well should always be checked further to establish the cause (its often not serious but it should be checked all the same).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now