Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Carpal tunnel syndrome???

(13 Posts)
Rshard Mon 17-Aug-15 16:47:55

I have been suffering from numb fingers and hands for some time now. Can occur at any time, for instance holding something for a while or driving but is much much worse at night. I can get so painful that it wakes me up! It's not like a dead arm like you've been lying on it too long or pins and needles. It can only be sure of not getting it if I lie on my back with arms and hands by my side or on top of my chest/tummy. Which isn't ever so comfortable!!

Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance

AGOG69 Mon 17-Aug-15 17:04:59

YES! I had this - but only whilst pregnant. It disappeared a few months after the birth. It's really quite painful. What helped me is wearing splints on both arms/wrists at night. Bit uncomfortable, but really helped with the pain. Go to the chemist/doctor and ask. Good luck!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 17-Aug-15 17:08:50

I have exactly those symptoms, and get them in the same circs as you too, but the problem is in my shoulder. It's not CTS. It's a muscle in spasm in my shoulder pressing on the nerve that leads to my hand.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 17-Aug-15 17:12:23

I had this for about 12 months during then after pregnancy. Splints helped - just bought from my local chemist - and also buying a 'proper' supportive pillow rather than the cheapy Tesco jobs I had before.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 17-Aug-15 17:20:15

I have something similar, I am beginning to suspect a trapped nerve at either my shoulder or elbow.

Do ALL the fingers have the symptoms? There are three nerves involved in the hands, so which fingers are involved can point to which nerve is the issue.

redannie118 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:38:22

I suffered with cts for years and two pretty sure things you can check to see if that is what you have (although I will say what you describe does sound a lot like cts) is the pain in all the fingers?cts typically feels pain in thumb and index finger with pins and needles in all fingers and across the palm.
If you turn your hand around and point your fingers downwards and press the backs of your hands together do you get the pins and needles in your fingers ?if yes its def cts. Theres lots can be done to help from wearing splints at night to steriod injections to minor surgery to release the nerve but I suggest you see your doc. Good luck

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 17-Aug-15 18:41:06

Sounds like it.
I got it when pregnant -wore wrist splints at night but sadly they didn't really help.
Poor dh had to cut up food for me.
I still have residual effects -tingling when writing too long,pushing pushchairs,sweeping -that sort of thing.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 17-Aug-15 18:51:56

Whereyouleftit is right there are three different nerves and which fingers it affects determines if it is CTS, tennis elbow or golfers elbow. You can have all three, I did. I had the CTS surgery so the thumb and index finger are fine. Just left with tennis and golfers elbow now some days just one other days both.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 17-Aug-15 20:23:34

It's worth a visit to the GP. Mine sent me to an osteopath, who pretty much cleared the problem in 4 sessions I just have to remember to do my exercises now

Bilberry Mon 17-Aug-15 20:33:10

I had CTS which went during pregnancy. I got sent to a neurophysiologist who sent little shocks up and down my arms (didn't hurt) to identify the problem; a lot of the people he got referred for CTS turned out to have nerves trapped at the shoulder instead. I ended up getting both wrists operated on. The ops were fairly minor (under a local) but couldn't use the hand for month/six weeks which was difficult with a baby.

Purpleball Mon 17-Aug-15 20:38:07

I had this and had the nerve tests. I work on a laptop all day every day and bought myself a wrist support for it. I'm a sceptical person at the best of times but within a month of using the wrist rest the pain had gone, it hasn't come back either.
I got the rest from staples for about £15

TyneTeas Mon 17-Aug-15 20:45:47

There's an online symptom questionnaire at NHS Direct

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carpal-tunnel-syndrome/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

(I had similar concerns a few months ago, questionnaire said probably not cts, got a wrist rest at work and did workstation assessment and readjusted my chair (had moved desks a few months earlier) and symptoms have subsided)

Hope you get some relief soon

Rshard Mon 17-Aug-15 21:42:20

Thanks so much for all your replies! I will check out the symptom questionnaire. The worst finger is my right index finger, in fact my right side is def the worse. Which is the sleeping side I favour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now