Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would I be wasting gps time with this?

(8 Posts)
Sometimesitsnowsinapril Mon 17-Aug-15 09:27:13

I am 40 years old and have the worst facial acne I have ever had sad my face is sore, red and it's getting me down. Also, I don't know whether this is related but my periods are now every 40-45 days and rather heavy - I used to be every 28 days without fail. Lastly, my stomach is the size of a six month pregnancy. I have not worn waist banded clothes for about two years. It is so uncomfortable.

Would the gp be even bothered? Would I be wasting his time?

TeamBacon Mon 17-Aug-15 09:28:58

Of course you wouldn't be wasting their time, get yourself an appointment smile

MarthaCostello Mon 17-Aug-15 09:31:17

No, you would not be wasting their time. I would make an appointment ASAP. This sounds very uncomfortable. How long has your stomach been swollen?

MarthaCostello Mon 17-Aug-15 09:33:10

confused sorry, for some reason I read as swollen. Have you gained weight? If so, with irregular periods and acne, it could be something like polycystic ovaries. Whatever's going on, it's worth getting checked out smile

Sometimesitsnowsinapril Mon 17-Aug-15 09:38:53

It's probably been going on for about three years now - I know! I know!

What puts me off going is that our gp surgery has a system whereby you phone and speak to a doctor first then they decide whether you need an appointment and then you get hooked in with whichever doctor is available and explain it again.

I wouldn't say I have gained weight overall just my stomach area. I suffer with under active thyroid so just put it down to that. It would be great if I could wear trousers again instead of elastic acted waist skirts.

ifonly4 Mon 17-Aug-15 10:07:05

Phone them now, that's what they're there for. I agree I hate phoning and asking for an appointment myself, but you obviously do need some support and they are the ones to provide it.

westcountrywoman Mon 17-Aug-15 12:24:12

Definitely worth a GP appointment. Make one today.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 17-Aug-15 12:45:02

Do give them a call, it could be something easily fixed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now