Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will they still do my mums chemo?

(5 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Sun 16-Aug-15 07:17:54

My mum was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. Stage 3b I think (spread to her windpipe and chest cavity up near her shoulder).
It is inoperable but they are going to give her 2 courses of chemo to give her a longer/better quality of life.
It is due to begin on Friday.
However, she has now developed a chest infection. I know that chemo reduces her immunity so infections post chemo can be quite dangerous.
However does this mean it will now be postponed? If so what effect will that have on her treatment?
Have tried googling but just gives me answers about infections during chemo.

KurriKurri Sun 16-Aug-15 14:45:18

I would think it would very likely be postponed. and start when she is better. It is quite common to have treatments postponed during chemo because the risk of infection is so high, infections post chemo can be very dangerous - life threatening in fact (I've had them and you have no resources to fight them off) so for your Mum's safety I think it very unlikely they will go ahead as planned - but don't worry they will just wait until she is fit and do it then - the short wait involved will not affect her cancer.

It might be a good idea if she (or you) phoned her chemo unit for info about how this will affect her treatment plan - they might want to get her on some IV anti biotics or something, so they can get her well and she can start as soon as possible, they will be happy to explain it to you.

So sorry your mum is so poorly, I hope her treatment starts soon x

LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 17-Aug-15 19:46:09

Thank you Kurri

hellomynameis Mon 17-Aug-15 22:32:05

Should definitely touch base with her nurse specialist and also make GP appointment if not already done so to get checked out.

Delaying chemo by s week or two doesn't make and difference in the longer term.

PacificDogwood Mon 17-Aug-15 22:33:20

They will likely postpone or at the very least do blood tests first.

She won't lose by waiting a week or two.

Good luck thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now