Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken toe - nothing to be done?

(4 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 15-Aug-15 19:55:49

Think I've broken my little toe. Is there anything I can do other than elevate and rest it? Happened 8h ago, is there any point in getting an ice-pack now?

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sat 15-Aug-15 20:09:11

I've broken both my little toes twice. Generally, the advice is to rest it and not put any weight on it. However, one time I had to have the toe splinted because the break was so bad - toe was stuck at a funny angle and seemed to have completely snapped off. If yours looks a bit odd it would be worth getting it checked out, but wait until tomorrow, A&E on a Saturday is no one's idea of fun.

Aquamarine70 Sun 16-Aug-15 06:49:09

I broke my a few months ago but I am in Australia & our health care is brilliant. In 1 1/2 hrs I saw the Dr, had xrays immediately & then back to the Dr. The nurse strapped it together with tape & a roll up piece of lint to keep it straight. I had to buy shoes that didn't squash my toes. It took about 4-5 weeks to heal. The pain got worse after 4 days. I took Nurofen plus to help with the pain & inflammation.

ShortyShortLegs Mon 17-Aug-15 17:18:58

My kids have broken toes several times, the advice from A&E is no need for an x-ray unless it's a funny angle/bad colour/feeling cold/tingly.
The always have their toes strapped together, even if they are bruised not broken because it really helps with the pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now