Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

weird raised area at the front of left thigh

(11 Posts)
jeanswithatwist Sat 15-Aug-15 19:42:36

noticed this a few months ago, that the (near) top area at the front of the left leg sticks out, not a hard mass, soft fatty (normal) but it is definately bigger than my right leg. Hard to explain but if i move my hand down the front of my left leg, it starts fine and then after a couple of inches curves out slightly. I have ignored it but (probably hormonal) it has come into my head and now i am getting paranoid, having stupidly been on the inernet...... cannot feel any lump/hard area, just fat/normal all be it more raised than the other side. anyone else have this? could be my age (50, yet another aging thing). Someone on the net mentioned steroid injections can do this although the one i had wasn't in my leg, it was in my neck.. any ideas would be appreciated (and yes, i should go to the dr but hate going and always hard to get an appointment)

TheSpottedZebra Sat 15-Aug-15 22:04:06

You don't sit with a laptop on that leg, do you?

pennycan Sat 15-Aug-15 23:06:50

I hate to worry you but you should get this checked out. I found a similar sounding lump last summer on my thigh. I had ultrasound, MRI and a biopsy before they diagnosed it as a Liposarcoma. 25 rounds of radiotherapy and and a large hole cut out of my leg later I'm due to see my surgeon on Monday for results, prognosis etc.

LeChien Sat 15-Aug-15 23:10:20

I have this, but it was following an accident I had years ago. The dr has seen it and isn't concerned.
Penny, hope everything goes well on Monday.

jeanswithatwist Sat 15-Aug-15 23:20:20

pennycan thing is, it doesn't feel like a lump, hard to explain but the area a few inches down feels like normal leg (fleshy, soft, wobbly) ie no lumps or mass to speak of, just that it is raised a little. i have been on the net, as you do, and have come across alot of women with the same thing, they describe it as an indentation, i have seen images that look similar, they call it fat atrophy.....did you feel an actual lump or hardened area (out of interest). i am worried eitherway, i worry about things naturally and will go to see the dr but am curious..thanks

jeanswithatwist Sat 15-Aug-15 23:21:34

sorry penny should have said all the best for monday

hashtagwhatever Sat 15-Aug-15 23:23:24

I have this too, I presumed it was some sort of water retention?.

pennycan Sat 15-Aug-15 23:39:40

Jeans, mine was definitely a raised area without feeling like an actual lump iykwim. I'm sure it will be nothing, sarcomas are pretty rare but it's better to find out. I put it off for a few weeks too, fortunately it was slow growing so the delay didn't matter.

jeanswithatwist Sat 15-Aug-15 23:47:26

i can't remember when i first noticed it, it may have been a good few months ago. i even shoed my dm who worries about everything and is queen of caution when it comes to health and even she dismissed it as me being ridiculous (as i often worry about lumps and bumps). i have been on the net and have come across something called lipoatrophia, the images are just like mine, has made me feel a little less stressed but i will still get it checked out. hash do you have it in both legs? i only have it at the front of the left at the top. it is very subtle and doubt anyone else would noticed but i can feel it slightly jutt out when i move my hand over it. i have had a good prod around and cannot feel any thing that seems different to the surrounding tissue, just a load of wobbly fat.....my legs have never been firm despite going to the gym for years off and on.

jeanswithatwist Sat 15-Aug-15 23:50:30

hash when i first noticed it i thought it was some kind of cellulite (extra big type dimple)

hashtagwhatever Sat 15-Aug-15 23:51:40

Yes just the one. My left leg too but it is half way down my thigh to the right. It's a bit like a speed bump running my hand over it, it's not majorly obvious although I can see it a bit if I've tights or leggings on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now