Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Took my first ACE inhibitor today. I'm 51.

(9 Posts)
Lambbone Fri 14-Aug-15 15:19:13

My BP has been ridiculously high for a while, so my GP thought that the time has come to treat.

He has prescribed 2.5mg Ramipril, and I've taken my first pill. I read the leaflet supplied with the drugs, which was a big mistake. You'd struggle to believe this stuff is supposed to do you good.

So any other Mumsnetters taking Ramipril or other ACE inhibitors? How are you getting on with them?

MollyAir Fri 14-Aug-15 15:21:03

I have resisted so far. I drink beetroot juice instead. They are desperate to get me on it, though. But I evade them.

PacificDogwood Fri 14-Aug-15 15:21:23

Dh takes it. He is 46.

No problems whatsoever.

Bear in mind, that the info leaflet lists every possible side effect, not how they are going to affect you.
It is a very good drug, lots of longterm advantages, lots of evidence to support its use, particularly in younger hypertensives.
See how you get on.

PeterParkerSays Fri 14-Aug-15 15:26:45

My DH is also 46 and takes Ramipril just to confirm I don't share a DH with PacificDogwood

It took him about a few months to get the dosage right, I think he's on 10 or 12mg but had to build up very slowly from 2.5mg. He used to have chest pain and headaches which have gone though so it's good for us.

Username359185 Fri 14-Aug-15 15:29:14

I've been on them for 6 years (since I was 29) and I haven't had any side effects.

Lambbone Fri 14-Aug-15 15:44:07

Encouraging, thank you.

MatildaTheCat Fri 14-Aug-15 17:05:56

I did for quite a while with no side effects whatsoever but then started coughing at night which was very annoying. Then switched to amlodipine which, so far, has been fine.

The drug companies are obliged to provide all the info and of course it is responsible to read it but hypertension carries significant risks left untreated. Take it for a while and try not to over think it all.mif you have untoward effects there are other options. smile

Lambbone Fri 14-Aug-15 19:55:22

I have got to the point where I can feel my gums throbbing, so something had to be done.

Bunbaker Fri 14-Aug-15 20:00:08

"but hypertension carries significant risks left untreated."

^ ^ This.

I have a doctor friend and she says that by far the biggest risk factor of having a stroke or heart attack is having high blood pressure.

Too many people underestimate this and think they will be OK because having high blood pressure is usually symptom free (until it is too late). It is better for the patient to take preventative measures and better for the overstretched NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now