Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Apple Cider Vinegar

(26 Posts)
FabulousFudge Thu 13-Aug-15 12:50:52

I read somewhere recently that apple cider vinegar is good for you but I can't quite remember why! I've just bought some and had my first spoonful. Does anyone else do this and why?! Thank you!

amarmai Thu 13-Aug-15 20:26:56

i use it in mixed rice and veggie dishes because it adds flavour but i also heard it was healthy because it's fermented.

BestIsWest Thu 13-Aug-15 20:31:29

What is the difference between apple cider vinegar and cide vinegar? Are they the same thing? Is the 'apple' redundant?

FabulousFudge Thu 13-Aug-15 20:42:04

I don't know sadly! I think I read a spoonful in the morning us better than a probiotic but now I'm doubting myself! Knowing me I'll have bought the wrong thing!

BuyMeAPony Thu 13-Aug-15 20:45:29

If you have a capful in water first thing apparently it helps break down fat around your middle. I'm having it every morning at the mo as part of a detox.

BestIsWest Thu 13-Aug-15 20:46:14

I only wonder because I have plain old cider vinegar in the cupboard already and I don't know if that has the same benefits.

Jellykat Thu 13-Aug-15 21:07:52

You're right Fudge, it is Anti fungal and acts as a Prebiotic, therefore encouraging the good bacteria in your body.........also great in the bath if you have thrush. (my DS1 used it when he got a skin yeast infection, and it worked brilliantly too)
I also do a last rinse with a capful in cool water when washing my hair, which neutralizes any shampoo residue left and keeps dandruff at bay.
It's great stuff!

FabulousFudge Thu 13-Aug-15 22:58:45

I've bought good quality organic stuff as I think was advised. I might buy cheaper stuff for my hair too.

Have you noticed any difference since you started your detox?

BuyMeAPony Fri 14-Aug-15 03:25:17

I've got the organic stuff too. The cloudier the better apparently. I've lost 2kg in 2 weeks, but i haven't had any bread/pasta/ rice /dairy and only a couple of glasses of wine so can't credit the vinegar on its own. My stomach is much much flatter which is great.

FabulousFudge Fri 14-Aug-15 18:43:35

That is great! Well done. I am trying not to eat bread and pasta too.

specialsubject Sat 15-Aug-15 17:03:11

no such thing as detox unless you've been on serious illegal drugs or being poisoned, in which case you should be in hospital.

nothing you put in your mouth produces weight loss. (unless it is something really bad which gives you a major stomach upset.) It is what you DON'T put in.

some possible evidence that it has probiotic properties. Vinegar as a hair conditioner is an old standby.

Supposed to taste nice.Probably doesn't do any harm.

YeOldeTrout Sat 15-Aug-15 17:20:01

Horrible to teeth, I'm fairly sure that drinking ACV destroyed my teeth. Beware.

FabulousFudge Sat 15-Aug-15 18:08:39

Thank you both. I might just do this bottle and see how I go. Thanks for the warning about the teeth!

SecretSquirrels Sun 16-Aug-15 11:50:34

My mother takes it for arthritis. Snake oil IMO, but harmless.

AnxiousAggie Sun 16-Aug-15 22:52:21

If you drink it through a straw it might be better for teeth? Straight to the back of the throat. Or have a piece of cheese afterwards - doesn't that neutralise acid? Not good for weightloss though!

FabulousFudge Sun 16-Aug-15 23:18:20

I thought having it on a spoon and then drinking loads of water straight afterwards might be better for teeth than sipping vinegar water all day. I'm worried about my teeth now though. I'm having a tablespoon every morning and night.

AnxiousAggie Mon 17-Aug-15 09:34:54

I dint mean to sip it all day. Just have the whole tablespoon in one go, but through a straw so that it's not swilling around your mouth. I don't know though. Ask the dentist next time you're there. She/he might have some suggestions.

Why can't anything just be good for us? grin

AnxiousAggie Mon 17-Aug-15 09:36:54

Or chew some sugarfree gum for 20 minutes afterwards to neutralise it? I really have no idea. Just tossing ideas around!

BeautifulBatman Mon 17-Aug-15 09:39:21

My dh got gout. He was prescribed painkillers but nothing for the actual cause. 3 teaspoons in lukewarm water 3 times a day sorted it out.

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Mon 17-Aug-15 09:49:50

I low carb and mix it with olive oil for a salad dressing, lush. I also use it when I make bone broth (stock),its supposed to help release the minerals - no idea if that's right. I had the cheap stuff from sainsburys.

NanTheWiser Mon 17-Aug-15 12:46:43

It's best to dilute it, otherwise it can burn your oesophagus, and damage your teeth. Although it's very acid, it becomes alkaline when digested, and is very good for digestive problems, such as reflux and indigestion.

specialsubject Mon 17-Aug-15 14:42:25

sounds like it is actually quite harmful....suggest reserving vinegar for sprinkling on chips or cleaning windows!

Germgirl Mon 17-Aug-15 14:52:53

Woman at work swears by it & hounded me into buying some. I bought the capsules. They're massive and smell vile. I have decided to stop them as I don't think they're doing anything - she reckons it's helped her hair and nails and given her more energy. Can't say I've noticed any of those effects in me.

momb Mon 17-Aug-15 15:02:12

most delicious with some cinnamon in braised red cabbage, but cannot imagine how drinking vinegar can be a pro or prebiotic!

BrumpyGollocks Mon 17-Aug-15 15:42:13

I bought it for treating my dd verruca but then read that it can also help with tearing stains that some dogs can get plus stopping lawn burn from their urine .

It's early days yet but I'll keep using it .

I bought the type that contains "the mother" as it's supposed to be better ?

This explains some uses.

authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now