Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Radiotherapy for non-cancerous tumour

(6 Posts)
Capewrath Thu 13-Aug-15 10:45:43

I am being referred for radio for a tumour in the inner ear. Difficult place, not the gamma knife.

Anyone know anything about this sort if thing ? Like what sort of period the radio will need to occur over, side effects, advice re working and commuting on public transport ? Just want to plan ahead.

¿

CMOTDibbler Thu 13-Aug-15 10:52:27

Usually stereotactic radiosurgery for acoustic neuromas is done as one treatment session. Some centres do everything on one day, some you have the planning scan a week before and then come back for treatment.

You won't be radioactive after treatment, so there will be no restrictions on travelling or working.

Do you know where you will be treated? Most centres have their advice leaflets online now - this is the one for Birmingham for instance

Capewrath Thu 13-Aug-15 11:28:33

Thanks. They are going to try to reduce, not remove, as it is wrapped around the carotid artery. Queens square, I suspect, though could be Thomas/guys.

I wasn't sure whether it would need to be more than one session, sounds good.

Will read leaflet with interest.

Capewrath Thu 13-Aug-15 11:32:55

Excellent leaflet. May I ask what the difference is between the gamma knife and the cyber knife? Consultant says no to the former. When I looked online I assumed being ignorant they were the same. Sorry to have a follow up.

CMOTDibbler Thu 13-Aug-15 11:54:43

It would be at St Thomas' then - thats where the cyberknife is.

The gammaknife has lots of fixed sources of radiation that they plug off to direct the radiation, but the part that needs treatment has to fit into where they are (imagine a giant helmet you slide into, so pretty much things in your skull only).
The cyberknife electronically generates its radiation, and is on a robotic arm, as is the bed you lie on, so it can shoot radiation from any angle, to anywhere in the body.
So I guess that it might be to do with the exact shape/position of your area needing treatment that is the reason for him recommending cyberknife.

Capewrath Fri 14-Aug-15 16:59:46

Thanks so much. DH and Ds profoundly relieved. One session sounds great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now