Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breasts - what is normal?

(7 Posts)
Snozberry Wed 12-Aug-15 20:42:18

I really have no idea how to check for lumps, because my breasts feel like they are mostly lumps. Like a bag of peas contained in a soft layer of fat.

Is this normal, and if it is, how do you know when a lump is not supposed to be there?

RepeatAdNauseum Wed 12-Aug-15 20:45:20

Have they always felt like that?

Mine are smooth to feel, so a lump would stand out. I'm a DD, so they aren't overly small, just...solid, I suppose. Not hard, but not lumpy.

That's a really terrible description!

swooosh Wed 12-Aug-15 20:58:44

Mine are lumpy too, like one big central hard lump. Like rocks.

Snozberry Wed 12-Aug-15 20:59:59

I don't know to be honest as I didn't have breasts at all until I had a baby a couple of years ago. They are fairly soft but there's a bumpy centre if I really squeeze. I have googled and seen the word 'lobule' and I assume that's what I'm feeling.

But I really have no idea.

Prizeplum Wed 12-Aug-15 21:06:59

Normal breasts are what's normal for you. Everyone is different. The main thing is, find any changes at all, get it checked out. TOTM can also cause changes so again, regular checks and you'll learn what's normal for you.
HTH.

Snozberry Wed 12-Aug-15 21:08:39

Thank you that's helpful. So new lumps, or lumps which don't follow a hormonal pattern are ones to look for.

Prizeplum Wed 12-Aug-15 21:12:45

Yes. Also, things like dimpling (for want of a better word lol) or dents in the skin. Any changes at all really. I'm off to my gp as I found a lump (TOTM related I think?) , but, also a dent below the nipple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now